G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NMCA Indy Results

4 posters

Go down

NMCA Indy Results Empty NMCA Indy Results

Post by Keith Seymore Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Just an update relative to the NMCA "World Finals" held in Indianapolis this past weekend.

Several months ago I hatched a scheme to attend and try to run multiple classes:  my usual "Nostalgia Muscle Car" class, but also a separate stand-alone class called "True Street".

NMC is an index style footbrake class for 1955 - 1985 American made vehicles.  I have been running that class (or a derivative) since about 1994.  True Street is more of an entry level class (not really) which demonstrates the streetability of the participants by taking a 30 mile cruise and then making three back to back runs.  DOT approved street tires are required (no drag slicks allowed).  Winners are determined for overall quickest ET, as well as those closest to the 9.0, 10.0, 11.0, 12.0, 13.0, 14.0 and 15.0 marks.  NMC qualifying and eliminations span across Friday, Saturday and Sunday;  since True Street is Saturday only they allow entry into a local bracket program on Sunday as an enticement.  The added bracket race meant that I would be running three separate categories.

Anyway - my thinking at the time was (a) it will be Autumn, so it will be nice and cool (right?), so I will probably be able to run 10 flat in the cool of the day.  If that is the case then (b) I could run 10 flat in NMC, and then also enter True Street shooting for the 10.0 benchmark, so that the "learnings" from the added time runs could transfer across the two classes;  Plus it would fill in a lot of the usual downtime associated with NMC on Saturday.

Boy, was I wrong.  Temperatures (as you are likely aware) were in the mid 90's, with the humidity levels not far behind.  Sweat was dripping off my nose just filling out the tech paperwork.  Basically I was off about a half second in ET from where I thought I would be.  That's not really a problem for NMC since I could hit the 10.50 index, but put me squarely halfway between where I wanted to be for True Street.  The dilemma:  should I run 10.50's and take what I get - or - slow the car to 11 flat for True Street in an attempt to win the 11.0 category?

I'm not proud but I elected to slow the car to 11.0 for True Street.  The 30 mile cruise was no problem and my three runs were an 11.16, 10.99 and 11.04
for an average of 11.06.  Long story short I have posted a pic of the True Street 11 sec winner.

https://www.facebook.com/aerospacecomponentsinc/photos/a.608181072554815.1073741838.194330380606555/1637082326331346/?type=3&theater

For NMC we threw the slicks back on and qualified on the 10.50 index by pulling 7 degrees timing from my usual setting.  I also went a couple rounds in the bracket program with a 10.50 dial in;  my demise in both classes was a result of breaking out trying to take the stripe.  Quickest pass in this configuration was 10.38, which was unexpected given that my time run was a 10.505 and that the day continued to get hotter and hotter as eliminations progressed.

I may try this again in the future, some time when I am sure I can hit the 10.0 mark.

The NMCA webpage can be found here:  http://www.nmcadigital.com/

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

NMCA Indy Results Empty Re: NMCA Indy Results

Post by clanceman427 Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:28 am

Great job! Curious- how many people called your car a Laguna that day?
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:52 am

Keith Seymore wrote:The dilemma:  should I run 10.50's and take what I get - or - slow the car to 11 flat for True Street in an attempt to win the 11.0 category?

I'm not proud but I elected to slow the car to 11.0 for True Street.  The 30 mile cruise was no problem and my three runs were an 11.16, 10.99 and 11.04
for an average of 11.06.  Long story short I have posted a pic of the True Street 11 sec winner.

This just seems like sound logic to me. Congrats!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

NMCA Indy Results Empty well done!!!

Post by S3SS Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Well done in representing these cars and your accomplishment with yours....
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:00 pm

Keith Seymore wrote:Just an update relative to the NMCA "World Finals" held in Indianapolis this past weekend.

Several months ago I hatched a scheme to attend and try to run multiple classes:  my usual "Nostalgia Muscle Car" class, but also a separate stand-alone class called "True Street".

NMC is an index style footbrake class for 1955 - 1985 American made vehicles.  I have been running that class (or a derivative) since about 1994.  True Street is more of an entry level class (not really) which demonstrates the streetability of the participants by taking a 30 mile cruise and then making three back to back runs.  DOT approved street tires are required (no drag slicks allowed).  Winners are determined for overall quickest ET, as well as those closest to the 9.0, 10.0, 11.0, 12.0, 13.0, 14.0 and 15.0 marks.  NMC qualifying and eliminations span across Friday, Saturday and Sunday;  since True Street is Saturday only they allow entry into a local bracket program on Sunday as an enticement.  The added bracket race meant that I would be running three separate categories.

Anyway - my thinking at the time was (a) it will be Autumn, so it will be nice and cool (right?), so I will probably be able to run 10 flat in the cool of the day.  If that is the case then (b) I could run 10 flat in NMC, and then also enter True Street shooting for the 10.0 benchmark, so that the "learnings" from the added time runs could transfer across the two classes;  Plus it would fill in a lot of the usual downtime associated with NMC on Saturday.

Boy, was I wrong.  Temperatures (as you are likely aware) were in the mid 90's, with the humidity levels not far behind.  Sweat was dripping off my nose just filling out the tech paperwork.  Basically I was off about a half second in ET from where I thought I would be.  That's not really a problem for NMC since I could hit the 10.50 index, but put me squarely halfway between where I wanted to be for True Street.  The dilemma:  should I run 10.50's and take what I get - or - slow the car to 11 flat for True Street in an attempt to win the 11.0 category?

https://www.facebook.com/aerospacecomponentsinc/photos/a.608181072554815.1073741838.194330380606555/1637082326331346/?type=3&theater

For NMC we threw the slicks back on and qualified on the 10.50 index by pulling 7 degrees timing from my usual setting.  I also went a couple rounds in the bracket program with a 10.50 dial in;  my demise in both classes was a result of breaking out trying to take the stripe.  Quickest pass in this configuration was 10.38, which was unexpected given that my time run was a 10.505 and that the day continued to get hotter and hotter as eliminations progressed.

I may try this again in the future, some time when I am sure I can hit the 10.0 mark.

The NMCA webpage can be found here:  http://www.nmcadigital.com/

K

Checking back in; I owe you all a report from this year's NMCA finals in Indy -

I tried again for a "three peat" with about the same scenario as above.

Slowed the car to 11 flat to run True Street - although I did have one 10.62 pass in True Street trim (that's launching in second gear, with the "snow tires" in place!). Ended up winning True Street on Saturday night.

NMCA Indy Results Attachment

On Sunday I ended up going rounds in my normal class - Nostalgia Muscle Car - and in the local bracket class. Made it to the semi's in NMC (three cars left) and the quarters in the bracket class (8 cars left). It got a little dicey as I went rounds and the number of remaining cars got smaller and smaller but the starter was gracious and would wait for me to get back after the previous run; on one occasion I beat two other competitors within about 5 minutes. It's a self correcting problem, though, as the next round I turned on two red lights within a 5 minute period.

Made enough in winnings to pay for my trip, so there's that...

K
cheers
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down