G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Block Headers and Oil Pan Question

4 posters

Go down

Big Block Headers and Oil Pan Question Empty Big Block Headers and Oil Pan Question

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:16 pm

Hey. My 496 short block is being built now and I have to start collecting up on some things. I want a good oil pan that will work with a 4.25 stroke crank and H-Beam rods. I also need to buy headers. I don't want clearance issues between the two. Also, I will be using a T56 Magnum transmission and hydraulic clutch set up. Lot of stuff to say just to ask what pans and headers you guys have with a big block install in a 1976 Laguna. Thanks.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Big Block Headers and Oil Pan Question Empty Re: Big Block Headers and Oil Pan Question

Post by bracketchev1221 Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:43 am

I would look at a moroso 20408.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Big Block Headers and Oil Pan Question Empty Re: Big Block Headers and Oil Pan Question

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:01 pm

Thanks for the input.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:23 pm

I have used the 20403 on my 540 and the 20408 is the same pan internally without the sump wings which are a pain with oil filters and stuff. The pan clears for what you are doing and is good under 7000.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:53 pm

Added to my list. Thanks.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:08 pm

I've got these https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9110/overview/year/1973/make/chevrolet/model/chevelle

They fit well. typical pass side collector is lower. One of the tubes is very close to the rearward lower control arm mount on the frame pass side. coating is still holding up good. stock oil pan.

Are you going to be running raised exhaust port heads? I wonder how header fitment is with those.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:35 pm

Thanks for the part number. I am looking at the 3" collector headers with around 1 3/4" tubes. I like the 1 7/8" tubes on the one's you speak of. How is plug and wire fit with those? I don't see where the Edlebrock RPM heads have a raised exhaust port so I should not encounter any issues there. I think even with the Rolling Thunder cam I am going to use that the engine will not pull much past 6000 RPM due to the displacement. The heads are ported and so is the RPM Airgap intake. Everything I am using is rated to 6500 RPM but from what I have read 6000 RPM with this combo is all in. Now if this Hurricane would stop I might get some more done...
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:41 am

Plug and wire fit is great. I am running the DEI heat sleeves on 3 of the wires, just to play it safe. I haven't burned any yet in the 4 yrs since I installed them. These are also avail in 2". I figured the 2" would be a little too tight.

These are made buy patriot. Their name is stamped on the flanges. Nice thick flanges also.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:29 pm

I have a set of unused Hooker Competition headers. Bought them for the 572 install, but they didn't fit perfectly given it is a Tall Deck. They were super close, but barely hit the frame on the passenger side. Looked like they would have fit nicely with a standard deck. Plug wires looked like they had plenty of room though. I paid $200 plus shipping. I'd be happy to let them go for $125.00 if anyone is interested.

Part Number: 520-2455
http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker-Headers/520/2455/10002/-1
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:29 pm

74Malibu383 wrote:I have a set of unused Hooker Competition headers. Bought them for the 572 install, but they didn't fit perfectly given it is a Tall Deck. They were super close, but barely hit the frame on the passenger side. Looked like they would have fit nicely with a standard deck. Plug wires looked like they had plenty of room though. I paid $200 plus shipping. I'd be happy to let them go for $125.00 if anyone is interested.

Part Number: 520-2455
http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker-Headers/520/2455/10002/-1

What did you end up going with? Mine come very close to hitting frame on pass side, by the lower control arm mount. They did hit until I switched over to the big block frame stands. Has just enough room now. I never knew there was a difference until I read the directions... scratch
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:44 pm

I ended up going with a set of Lemons headers. They're freaking beautiful. Costly, but amazing. They're 2 1/8" primaries into 3.5" collectors. I called Dan and he said he did a 74 El Camino a while back and had the jig for it. So, we started there, and he tacked up a set and sent them out. They pretty much hit everywhere. So, I cut, marked, photographed, diagrammed, and sent them back to him. He made the requested changes and sent me Rev B... Still hit in two places and I wanted them tighter to the floor, so I went through the same process and sent them back. Rev C. came back to me and they were perfect. So, back to Dan they went and he fully welded them up. They are by far the easiest headers I have ever installed slide right in and out. They tuck up super close to the floor and don't hang down at all. My only regret is that I can't really see them with the procharger and intercooler piping!!!

Big Block Headers and Oil Pan Question Img_2013
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:05 pm

Those are beautiful..... Your entire car is amazing. Looks like you have plenty of frame clearance now. I think it was the tube for cylinder #6 that comes close. I see that one is kicked up out of the way. Nice work..
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:09 pm

I'll trade you 1 Trillion gallons of water for those Lemons headers. That's how much is around my house now. Those are so cool.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum