G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

B-body springs?

5 posters

Go down

B-body springs? Empty B-body springs?

Post by fasrnur Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:30 pm

So I have a question. I know that the 91-96 B-body coil springs fit our cars. I have a chance to pick up a set of springs out of a 96 Caprice and was wondering if anyone has used them to lower their cars and if so, how does it ride and how much did it lower your car?
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

B-body springs? Empty Re: B-body springs?

Post by ant7377 Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:05 am

I put 96 Impala springs in mine. It didn't lower it I was not trying too though. Just wanted a little rake and a good ride,Caprice springs I don't think would lower it either.Maybe try a pair from a G body Malibu wagon or El Camino to lower.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:33 am

Moog has their entire spring lineup on their website. My neighbor used a set of IROC front springs for his. Things to ponder, though. Instead of using springs to lower the car, use a set of McGaughy or other brand lowering spindles off an F-Body, or for big brakes AND lowering, use a set off a B-Body. If I didn't lower mine already, that's what I would have done. In fact...I might still do it...

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:42 pm

I dont really see the benefit of putting a set of "used" and possibly 20 year old springs into your car. Who knows how worn they are or even if they were actually "for" the car you took them out of. Too hit or miss for me with used springs. If you want a certain spring then I would go to rockauto.com, find the spring number from the vehicle you want and then go to the Moog chart and match something up.

Heres the like to the Moog chart. I've posted it a couple times before.
http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/universal_coil_springs.asp
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:51 pm

Thanks for the feed back gentlemen. I was wondering more about the ride of these springs more than the lowering issue. I'm going to pass on them, but might have to pick up the spindles as I could get those for "cheap" Wink as well.
I've read about doing the 12" brake conversion and all the ways to do it too.
I'm just trying to keep my budget intact so that I can spend more on other things I want to do to my car.

Thanks again,
Jeff......
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:28 am

I recently did a rear spring swap on my Elco.  I read all the info on here and couldn't really make a decision.  I stumbled upon some info. about 60's era c-10 pickups having a similar style spring. On speedway motors website they stated their springs would lower an a body car(depending on which spring you bought). I figured for $99.00 I'll take my chances.  I found a spring speedway says would drop the truck 5" and the a body 3". So I ordered those.  My elco has the factory small block springs with the big block in it, and at the time, a 73 laguna front end. This thing sat low! When I installed the rear springs from speedway, it leveled the car evenly. Best $99.00 I spent recently!  The ride is a little stiffer, but I expected that, lowering it that much.  BY the way the rear tires are 265/75-15, which filled up the opening a lot better.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down