G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Laguna or not to Laguna that is the question?

+2
Joe73
Jeff73SS
6 posters

Go down

To Laguna or not to Laguna that is the question? Empty To Laguna or not to Laguna that is the question?

Post by Jeff73SS Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Very Shakespearian I know but I am torn.
I have 73 Super Sport. With the huge nose as you are all aware of. I bought it as a numbers matching 4 speed drove it home 14 years ago and parked it. Lately it has been getting the attention it deserves. I have had the engine rebuilt with several goodies. I have kept all the original parts. I have done all the rust repair correctly and am now needing to decide on the nose. I bought a complete 73 Laguna nose off Craigslist with lights in the buckets bumper brackets and all it looks good and is complete right down to the marker lights. Nothing is wrong with the original SS front end either right down to the plastic grill which is in perfect condition.

The Laguna front end seems awful heavy but I like the style. I have allot of aluminum on the engine now and am installing electric fans and moved the battery to the trunk.

The SS combo seems like it would be much lighter.

Has any one ever weighed the two combos and have a net number?

If not I am going to weigh it all up and post.

I have minimal fabrication and welding skills but surprise myself every time I attempt something it seems to come out well just takes awhile and my throttle foot is getting itchy.

Anybody shorten and narrow a 73 SS front bumper? How did it go?

I know I want to do the rear bumper so any input would be good.

I wont chop on the originals I would look for some dent and scratch and cut those up.

I would like to hear some pro and cons fro the community.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff73SS
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

To Laguna or not to Laguna that is the question? Empty Re: To Laguna or not to Laguna that is the question?

Post by Joe73 Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:28 pm

I would say, its your car, build it the way you like.

For me, even if you change every part to make it appear like a factory laguna, it still wont be one.  Only because of the second digit of the VIN.  So anyone who knows these cars would immediately know its not a laguna.  Then you could tell these same people that its really a numbers matching SS.

I think it would be better to leave it as an SS and do the bumper mods you mentioned.  Because that could be easily changed back.

But build it as you like.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

To Laguna or not to Laguna that is the question? Empty Re: To Laguna or not to Laguna that is the question?

Post by clanceman427 Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:28 pm

Yeah do what you want since you're saving all the original parts. Id love to hear what rust repair you did and how it went. My car needs a lot of metal work in the back. And I have to tackle it at some point.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:31 pm

I understand the itch. Especially after owning for as long as you have. Something different is not necessarily bad.

Someone has weighed both. IIRC the 'guna stuff is actually lighter. The bumpers are really heavy, especially the "inside" bumper.
Then you add the rest, headlight buckets, grill, trim pieces etc. HEAVY.

That being said, the only write up I've ever see on the swap was over at El Camino Central. That guy swapped a 73/74 nose onto a 77 Elky and had a really hard time because the tabs on the nose made it very difficult to get the nose snugged up to the fenders. It's probably easier putting one on a 73, but...then of course you'll have painting issues to add expense.

Link to El Camino Central.
It's a cool thread. The nose goes on at page 14

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=10645&page=14

I feel your pain. I have a guna nose that I've been staring at for 3 years trying to decide what to do.

I'm doing the bumpers. Mostly to save time and $$$. But I'll keep staring at that Guna nose.

FYI a member here makes brackets specifically for a G3 front bumper tuck.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:54 pm

Laguna Bumper is 176 Pounds with Shocks and grill in it

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitchell Murphy Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:02 am

Morning Jeff. I just saw your your post. Yeah, tough decision. I always thought the Laguna nose should have been the Super Sport front end. But since Pontiac had the Grand Am , Chevrolet wanted a top end version also. The problem is if you put a Laguna nose on the car, people will come up to you at a show and say "Chevy never made a Laguna SS" Or say say that you have a fake Super Sport which you don't. I would leave the Malibu/SS grill and bumper on the car, but it is your car and you can make it as you would like to. On my 73 SS 454/4 speed car at Floyd Garrett's Muscle car Museum in Sevierville TN, I cut the filler panel and made new end pieces and moved the bumper end about half way, now it matches the rear bumper. That I did not change, it never bothered me, it looks fine. Some guys tuck these in way too much and it looks like you hit a wall and pushed it in too far. I can go by and get a picture for you if you'd like for me to. It is a COPO car, built 5th week of May,1973. GM put a 74 block in my car. Believed to be the final SS car built at the Kansas City plant, I have build sheet with it. Again, will be glad to send a picture to you. I also can copy "the Chevelle report" 25th anniversary featuring the 1973 Chevelle/Monte carlo/el camino. it is in color and black and white. They run about 20.00 with shipping cost included. I have done about a dozen plus so far for other G3 members. let me know and have a blessed and Happy Thanksgiving-Mitch

Mitchell Murphy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:40 pm

well, like others have said, make the car how you like it. you are smart to save all the original parts so that you can convert it back to original when it comes time to sell the car.

On the subject of weight, as heavy as our front bumper systems seem to be, I weighed my 1973 SS 350 4 speed saginaw, power steering, power brakes, manual windows, swivel buckets, console, non A/C car, with full spare tire and extra jack equipment in the trunk, and on the local scrap yard's scale, with the fuel tank topped-off completely full, it was 3,816lbs without me in it. Food for thought when this subject comes up and folks automatically assume all G3's are lead sleds....
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down