G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Converting non A/C Laguna to A/C with factory parts

+4
Limey SE
fasrnur
S3SS
73ss
8 posters

Go down

Converting non A/C Laguna to A/C with factory parts Empty Converting non A/C Laguna to A/C with factory parts

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:47 pm

Hey.  My 1976 Laguna does not have factory A/C.  I want to start collecting on the parts to put factory A/C in the car.  I am slowly working on a big block that will go in the car.  To make it more interesting I would like to use a serpentine belt set up.  I don't have it in the budget for a Vintage A/C system with the billet pulleys.  So, stock A/C with serpentine belt with a big block.  Not much to ask.  I will be looking at the under dash items first along with a small compressor.  I don't want the long compressor so I can keep it clean looking.  Is this to much to ask?  Any ideas would be very helpful.  Thanks in advance.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Converting non A/C Laguna to A/C with factory parts Empty Re: Converting non A/C Laguna to A/C with factory parts

Post by 73ss Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:32 pm

I think the firewalls are different between AC/Non AC. The dash is different. Maybe you could find a used vintage system. they can be mated to factory style compressor, although custom hoses will need to be made. All factory big block serpentine set-ups use the small compressor.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Converting non A/C Laguna to A/C with factory parts Empty Re: Converting non A/C Laguna to A/C with factory parts

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:44 pm

Good info. I might have to go with regular belts as well. Still in the planning stage on this. Thanks.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:54 pm

I've seen some serpentine set-ups in the boneyard, but have wondered if they will have enough hood clearance with our cars. they look like the A/C & alt sit up high. These are all on trucks.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by S3SS Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:33 pm

Firewalls are different, in that, the hole size is larger where fan/ac housing attaches to firewall with an original AC setup.
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:16 pm

REVINKEVIN wrote:Good info.  I might have to go with regular belts as well.  Still in the planning stage on this.  Thanks.

Not sure On Monte Carlo But on Malibu firewall is the same the Part that IS DIFFERENT is the Blower fan you MUST change to a Smaller Diameter one from the A/C one and of Course TRY Like mad to find an A/C dash ( Yea right I know )BUT IF good Enough with Cutting Vinyl the Outline of the A/C vent IS ON THE BACK SIDE OF DASH ( Take to an Upholstery Shop for this ) LOL ANyway if dead serious about this I am Pulling All A/C components off my Car this Spring / Summer and will be for sale If I sell the stuff first IT WILL Come off faster.... Anyways if you feel like Bartering Hit me up with a Way to contact you either Facebook or Phone Number

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:18 pm

I Have everything BUT the compressor to Barter with or sell This is directed to Revin Kevin for now if he Passes on the stuff then It will be offered Nationwide

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:41 pm

Revinkevin and Limey, I thought I'd throw this out there for you guys and any others that might want to know about converting from the old A-6 compressor over to as newer Sanden compressor. This doesn't look like too bad of a deal and I might down the road put A/C back on mine.

http://nostalgicac.com/a-6-to-sanden-conversion-kit.html
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:03 pm

I've got most of the A/C setup from an A/C car in storage... I think. I'll have to check, if you are interested.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:12 pm

I know that on a 73 (which should be the same for later years) the hole in the firewall on an AC car is more "L" shaped and larger than a non AC car.  So I think to use a non AC heater box you will have to fab up an extra panel to close up the area on the bottom.

Maybe someone could take a quick measurement of the overall height of the box on their firewall to confirm. My non AC box measures exactly 9" tall not including the mounting flange. My measurement was taken on the "trans" end of the box.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:10 pm

Converting non A/C Laguna to A/C with factory parts 73-77_AC_Delete

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:20 pm

I dont know.  This is my stock one after blasting and epoxy.  Think we need a measurement to confirm. Odd the aftermarket one doesnt have the hole for the blower resistor.

Converting non A/C Laguna to A/C with factory parts Firewa10
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:23 pm

That's looking nice Joe. You are at about the same place I am with my 1970 Camaro right now. Thanks for the pick Limey.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:26 pm

Thank you very much. Pics was from 2 summers ago I think. Cars painted now and assembled. Just want to hit it with some 2000 grit and polish.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:08 pm

Joe73 wrote:I know that on a 73 (which should be the same for later years) the hole in the firewall on an AC car is more "L" shaped and larger than a non AC car.  So I think to use a non AC heater box you will have to fab up an extra panel to close up the area on the bottom.

Maybe someone could take a quick measurement of the overall height of the box on their firewall to confirm.  My non AC box measures exactly 9" tall not including the mounting flange.  My measurement was taken on the "trans" end of the box.

The A/C box is way bigger, almost all the way to the top of the firewall pinchweld. probably about 12-14" tall.

Mine's too hot right now to measure (drove it to work today with the A/C blasting!)

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:51 pm

Kevin, I have a complete A/C setup for a 76 Laguna and a 77 El Camino that I'm currently parting out. Just sold the 350 engine but still have the tranny if anyone is interested. Also have a couple A-6 Compressors. Send me a message if you want to come look at this stuff.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:48 pm

Got most of what I need. Thanks Bill.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:37 am

Thanks for coming out in the weather today Kevin. Glad I could help out with the parts you needed. Let me know if you are missing anything to complete your project.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down