G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sears Sells Craftsman Brand Name

+2
73ss
Mcarlo77
6 posters

Go down

Sears Sells Craftsman Brand Name Empty Sears Sells Craftsman Brand Name

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:12 pm

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sears-sells-craftsman-brand-to-stanley-black-decker-1483623215

Looks like Sears is having to sell off the Craftsman brand (to Stanley/Black & Decker) in order to stave off the inevitable downfall of the one-time retail giant a little longer.

I've filled my toolbox with Craftsman over the many years when they represented a good quality tool for the average shade-tree mechanic who couldn't afford (or, justify) the cost of the top line Matco's or Snap-On's. Of course, we all know Craftsman tools have been made of Chinesium in recent years and sadly, I find myself now looking at other brands when it comes time to buy new ones. Seems everyone is touting a Lifetime Warranty on their tools, too. So, Matco and Snap-On aside, what brands are you guys finding to be of good quality at a decent price?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Sears Sells Craftsman Brand Name Empty Re: Sears Sells Craftsman Brand Name

Post by 73ss Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:01 pm

Craftsman here as well. I still use a 1/2 inch drive set that was my Grandads and he passed in 1996. And yes the quality of that set is much better than the newer stuff from Craftsman. If I do need a new odd-ball wrench that I know I will only use  a few times I'll run to the local harbor freight. I bought one of their inch-pound wrenches to do the intake set on the GM 3.4. It did the job and I haven't used the wrench since. I hope to never work on one of those miserable things again!!! If it was something I would use more, I would have spent the money on a better brand.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:57 pm

SK makes good tools.  Sunnex sockets are every bit as good as snap on imho. Also husky (home depot) seen to be good quality and are cheap.... Practically harbor freight cheap.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:08 am

Agree about SK and sunnex sockets. I had blue point, IR, CP, sunnex die grinders and cut off wheels. I use them pretty much all the time, the one that's out lasted them ALL is a cheap husky home depo one I bought 9 years ago! I must have cut 1,000 miles worth using it and (it's a plastic housing) it's held up the best!
I have a lot of hand tools everything from craftsman, snap on, matco, Mac, SK, sunnex, gear wrench, mastercraft, stanly, my favorite is the mastercraft stuff Canadian Tire sells it only in Canada it's a knock off of Snap On just much more affordable.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:14 am

I do the Harbor Freight tools now Pittsburg brand like stated they are lifetime replacement as well and to date havent broken any. Shame about Sears dad was an auto center manager for 40+ years and was asked to retire more like told. Since the stock he has is worthless and they dropped his insurance.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:22 pm

That crap K mart ruined Sears,real shame. Felt like you were buying something good when you bought a tool there. I still have the set my grandparents bought me 25 years ago.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down