G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Shoes

+6
ant7377
KC77Monte
77camino
clanceman427
dynchel
Joe73
10 posters

Go down

New Shoes Empty New Shoes

Post by KC77Monte Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:31 pm

Finally got around to buying our new wheels and tires. The wheels are 15x8 and the tires are 255/60/15 in front and 275/60/15 in the rear. Thanks for looking
New Shoes Image10
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

New Shoes Empty Re: New Shoes

Post by Joe73 Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:15 pm

Looking good. !!!!
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:33 pm

Love that you kept it retro.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:49 pm

That looks great!
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:51 pm

I like it,looks great!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:13 pm

Cragar has never been my thing but they look great on that Monte. Well done.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:10 pm

Looks great. Too bad it is about time to put it away for the winter.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:54 pm

Looking Real good, im thinking about buying a set myself. So how are they to ride on? Any issues with shakes at High speed ( 50-60-70 miles an hour) couse i bought new american racing rims and bf Goodrich tires and they Shake. The tires espesially are Real bad out of round. The rims arent that bad but still i had not expected brand new alloy rims Being anything but straight.
I like the look of the cragars but im not in the mood to have another set of wheels that Shake.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by KC77Monte Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:59 pm

Hs1973 wrote:Looking Real good, im thinking about buying a set myself. So how are they to ride on? Any issues with shakes at High speed ( 50-60-70 miles an hour) couse i bought new american racing rims and bf Goodrich tires and they Shake. The tires espesially are Real bad out of round. The rims arent that bad but still i had not expected brand new alloy rims Being anything but straight.
I like the look of the cragars but im not in the mood to have another set of wheels that Shake.

They ride real smooth. We have had it on the high way for a short drive and didn't notice any shake. We'll see how that goes when we start driving it more.
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:15 pm

Damn tires,they are round always been round. Why can't they make em round now!?
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:03 pm

I dont know If the tires i have bought the last 2 times was out of round cause of age and stored wrong. Bit the last 2 times ive bought bf Goodrich tires they have been so bad to drive on that i have had no option but to change them out. Now i have a brand new set on my chevelle 235-60-15 front and 275/60-15 rear on brand new american racing rims. They Shake at 50-60 miles an hour and gets worse the faster you go. Under there is no Shake at all. Im Real disapointed in the performance of both the rims and tires. At other points ive had used rims and tires and thought that was why the would Shake a little. I had a trans am that Got new bf Goodrich on it. It would Shake at around 60 but i sold the car before i Got to do anything about it. This time i bought both new tires and rims. I had them proffesionally ballanced twice but they still Shake. Im not sure what the hell is Wrong but im not that happy about it. So next im getting Mickey Thompson instead. I had the rims on a balancing machine without tires on them, and you can see how they are out of round, when you spin them on the machine.
When i was a younger man a set of bf Goodrich was the best you could get and put on a american musclecar. I have always liked the looks and performance. But i must say quality is Down and they are not worth the money anymore. The ones that are the best of the ones i have, has almost 50 grams of weight on both sides to balance them. Normal the tires i mount on customers cars get 10-15 grams. Maybe im balancing them Wrong but im pretty sure there is something Wrong with them. Also i hear from others that they also have problems with bf tires. Or maybe the worst of the Stock gets sold to us here in Europe. ?
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:49 pm

I just went thru this Hs1973. It was unbearable at 55-60mph until I took them to a old school tire and brake shop and he trued/shaved them. Took off just a little but it made a huge difference. He said that these coopers are the worst for being out of round and getting out of round from sitting. He told me BFG's use a hard compound and that is what makes them hold up better but coopers have a better ride, you just can't let them sit.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:58 am

Looks beautiful ! Nice job
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:54 am

I thought of having them shaved, but none here in Copenhagen where i live has that service. Most tireshops here wont even touch a us car with wide tires. So im going to try taking one wheel off and put a borowed wheel back on. One corner at a time until i find the bad one/ ones. Im also going to go over the intire car and tjek for bad steering components bearings and such, If the tire thing dont do it.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:26 pm

I forgot about the whole different country thing. One place you can try is any shop that works on big rigs that services brakes and tires. The guy told me that if someone knew what they were doing they could index the wheel and tire. Taking the tire off and moving it 180 degrees and then balancing it.

Have you checked u-joints, trans mount, motor mounts and did the ball joint check?

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:40 pm

Lookin' good!

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc
"It's a freedom that we all want to know" | Restless Heart | 'Wheels'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Im sorry If i Got to highjack the tread someone Else started. I Got my driveshaft rebuild a month ago. It was ballanced and new ujoints fitted. That helped a little, but the Shake persist. I had new motormounts and transmount and all joints and steering components replaced when the body was of the frame. The intire car was restored Ground up 2 years ago. Everything was new exept the driveshaft and the rear axel, i only changed the oil seals and fluid in it at the time. I havent tryed driving it yet after the rear was restored. I had a posi and new gears installed and new bearings and such. The old internals was worn Real good, there was alot of play in everything. I kind of hope that would help also. The Shake feels like it starts from the rear and the faster you go the worse it gets. Until the whole car shakes. I havent had the nerve to let it get Real bad to se what happens, i always let of the gas before it gets to bad. You can mostly feel the Shake in the floor and seat, the steering wheel dosent Shake at all. Im determined to find the fault i have heard there is a bushing in the trans extension housing that also can be a problem. I dont know If it was changed when the trans was rebuild, so im going to change it out next. Oh and the Shake is there regardless of it is in gear or coasting in neutral. So i Lean Towards the wheels, or something in Line with the wheels. Axels, steering components or similar. I of course hope it was in the rear axel, but the wether here is to bad to drive it, also there is salt on the roads and my insurance only covers driving from march to october. I havent thought about the heavy truck shops. Ill look in to that thanks for the tip. Ill let You all know what happens If and when i find the culpret. Thank you again for all your help all of you this time and all the other times i have gotten help in here. I love this forum as people are knowlegble and dosent put others Down for Their opinion, and everybody respect each other and talk Nice. If you have a problem everybody here is eager to help.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down