G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Headlights Dim When I Tap Brake or Turn on Turn Signals

3 posters

Go down

Headlights Dim When I Tap Brake or Turn on Turn Signals Empty Headlights Dim When I Tap Brake or Turn on Turn Signals

Post by 01tjay Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:36 pm

My 74 Laguna S3's headlights dim when I step on the brake pedal. Just for a split second the headlights dim just when the brake light switch is triggered. Also, when I turn on the turn signal at night the headlights dim on each flash of the turn signal. Any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it? Thanks!

01tjay
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Headlights Dim When I Tap Brake or Turn on Turn Signals Empty Re: Headlights Dim When I Tap Brake or Turn on Turn Signals

Post by bigredlaguna Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:22 pm

There are grounding points near the headlights on both sides, and a ground in the trunk for the taillights near the latch. Disconnect these and clean the wire connector and body ground point with a stainless steel brush. Clean any other grounding point you see in the same manner.

The bulb sockets themselves may be corroded. Check and clean these also. If the problem persists, then other solutions can be looked at.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Headlights Dim When I Tap Brake or Turn on Turn Signals Empty Re: Headlights Dim When I Tap Brake or Turn on Turn Signals

Post by 01tjay Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:25 pm

I'll give that a try. Thank you!

01tjay
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:31 pm

It does sound like bad ground(s) . Like mentioned, there are headlamp grounds on the core support. Always make me wonder how well the core support is grounded to the body etc ! Smile

The problem I've had with tail light sockets is the ground strap that runs inside of the sockets..the one with it's own bulge in the socket... Looks OK, but not always connected very well. Kind of a trap when looking for a problem....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down