G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lower body stainless

3 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Lower body stainless Empty Lower body stainless

Post by Damon23 Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:50 pm

How does one remove those pieces? I don't want to tear them up as they are in pretty good shape. Also, how does one remove the trim around the base of the vinyl top? I'm on the fence about removing it all and filling any holes or studs that may be on the car and just painting it. I want the car slick with not trim or vinyl top or I may just try to sell it and find one that does not have all that stuff on it.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Lower body stainless Empty Re: Lower body stainless

Post by testpilot61 Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:34 pm

The vinyl trim snaps loose. I use a plastic stick with a tapered end. Gently slide it behind the trim and slowly twist the plastic stick. Get as close as you can to the retainers under the trim to prevent damage to the trim. Take your time and be patient.

CAUTION

At each corners of the Stainless trim where it turns to cross below the rear window is a WELDED STUD that go'es thru the sheet metal. There is a metal nuts that MUST be removed from inside the trunk. WHEN i TAKE MY TRIM OFF FOR POLISHING i REMOVE THESE NUTS 1ST BEFORE ANY OTHER WORK on the trim.

testpilot61
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by testpilot61 Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:36 pm

If this is a Landau Top trim and you decide not to use it I would be interested in purchasing from you.

Thanks,
Jerry

testpilot61
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:32 pm

Be VERY gentle when removing those corner pcs at the rear window. The end that interlocks with the side qtr panel section is made of pot metal and it's very brittle after all these years. It won't disconnect from the side molding section without getting to the underside and unbending the crimped edges that hold it firm...so, it has to all come off the car as one piece without it flexing at that joint or else the pot metal tab will fracture.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:53 am

It is is the full top. Mcarlo77, are you talking about the trim that goes at the base of the vinyl? I'm not to concerned about tabs as they'll be ground down anyway. I just don't want to destroy the trim. Are the trim clips hard to find as well? Of course once I remove it all I will sell it all to help fund my project so I want to make sure everything that someone would need is there.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:02 pm

Yes...the molding that finishes off the vinyl edge. I just removed another set today and was very careful not to flex that corner joint.

I couldn't say whether the trim clips are available. Never had the need to research them.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down