G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

has anyone had their bumpers re chromed?

+6
Laguna Budman
Roadcaptain S3
Mcarlo77
Damon23
SSTOOLMAN
Joe73
10 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

has anyone had their bumpers re chromed? Empty has anyone had their bumpers re chromed?

Post by riddick75 Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:05 pm

I have been calling all around my area to places that said they do chroming, only one place says they do cosmetic chrome but they want 500 bucks per bumper with a 4 month wait time is that normal. its for my 75 el camino so no nos as a possibility.
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

has anyone had their bumpers re chromed? Empty Re: has anyone had their bumpers re chromed?

Post by Joe73 Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:15 pm

I had my front and rears done back in the late 80s. I paid $200 each and they shipped them to either arizona or colorado to have them down. But they came out nice.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

has anyone had their bumpers re chromed? Empty Re: has anyone had their bumpers re chromed?

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:23 pm

Try calling these guys and report back. I've heard good things about them. You'd be paying shipping, but maybe the costs will justify it.

J R Custom Plating
North Branch, MN
651-464-0761
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:05 pm

A place in North Dakota that does Semi truck Bumpers did my 73 Front Bumper 3 years ago. its show quality, cost $650, took 2 months. That included prep work of course, I had no dents in it or it might have been more. $500 sounds like a ok deal.
There is an outfit that comes to the Jefferson WI swap meet, spring and fall that will exchange
bumpers, if you give them a call before hand they will bring what you need. I am thinking the price was around $550. that way you wouldn't have to wait. I don't know what the name is but they were out of California.
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:08 pm

Just remembered Bumper Boyz (www.bumperboyz.com) of Los Angeles. call and they have pricing.
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:16 pm

SSTOOLMAN wrote:Just remembered Bumper Boyz (www.bumperboyz.com) of Los Angeles. call and they have pricing.

I see them in Moultrie, GA for the big swap meet the week before the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona and then I see them there. They are always busy so they must have good pricing.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:00 pm

I had the rear bumper re-chromed for my '74 Malibu, about 9 years ago.  It's polished locally, and then set out for plating.  It was a bit less than 400 bucks.  But then I decided to get the bumper guards done also, and they were 80 bucks each for plating.
My '75 Elco could use new chrome, but it's supposed to be a daily driver, so I haven't even thought about it.  Looks good at 50 ft away, just the rest of the body. !! Very Happy

has anyone had their bumpers re chromed? P1011748_zpstbo4giu9

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:18 pm

SSTOOLMAN wrote:Just remembered Bumper Boyz (www.bumperboyz.com) of Los Angeles. call and they have pricing.

Google those guys...not good.

My buddy uses these guys for a lot of his stuff...he does body work.

http://highlineplating.webs.com/

From their site:
1973-1977

FRONT/REAR W/H-N/H                                      $300.00EA

REAR 73                                                                $350.00

They come through town every few months from St. Louis and meet up with customers in a parking lot, then come back and drop it off on the next run. I don't know if they do that everywhere. My buddy swears they are the best.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:06 pm

I don't understand how anyone can quote a price sight unseen on a bumper when they don't know how much prep will be required in the way of fixing dents, filling holes/pits/scratches, etc. Seems each one would be priced differently based on that.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:12 pm

Listed prices are "estimates" based on chrome only. You can email pics of the pieces to them for more detailed prices if the pieces are damaged and need custom repairs.

I've called them and plan to use them when I start on my bumper mods.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:15 pm

Try Sioux Plating in Sioux City, IA. They do great work.
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:58 pm

thanks for the responses, made some more calls and most came out about the same for cost and figuring about 40-50 for shipping each way added to the cost, but luckily a few years ago I was a a car show "world of wheels" when I first started working on the elky and was grabbing cards from every one who had one. one of them was a chrome plating place A&R Plating and they were still in business. $450 for each bumper and $50 for each bumper guard so $1000 for it all. pretty steep but like my dad said "should last another 30 years. so I drove them to them and he said it should be a 2 week turn around time. time will tell how they turn out, as I was driving there I wished I had taken a before picture.
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:48 pm

There are good chrome jobs, and some not so good. The good job has copper plating under the chrome, which adheres to the steel better than the chrome, and lasts longer. When calling for quotes etc, ask about the copper plating...

Bill

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:57 pm

I have horror stories about bumper boyz. Only place I would use is Tri city plating in TN. Their work is excellent.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:23 pm

figured I would comment on the chrome job, its chrome but they didn't smooth out some of the pitting like I had asked and it kinda shows through on the bumper guards. Bumpers themselves are fine though. Was planning on forgoing using black rubber on the bumper guards but Im going to use it to hide. note for future, as much as a pain in the A$$ as it may be unwrap all of your stuff there and check it, do it. I just don't feel like driving another hour each way to see if he would fix it for free.
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by builtnotbought Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:58 pm

I thought it's much easier and cheaper to find and made rechroming in US, as I thought you have a large chrome industry but after reading thread I understood that it's not Suspect
builtnotbought
builtnotbought
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:13 am

builtnotbought wrote:I thought it's much easier and cheaper to find and made rechroming in US, as I thought you have a large chrome industry but after reading thread I understood that it's not Suspect

yea I think there is a large industry for chrome but most of it is industrial use apparently. I never knew that there were different kinds of chroming processes and that cosmetic chrome was so hard to come by. probably due to how bad it is to the environment and the people who work around it.
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down