G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Empty need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick

Post by clanceman427 Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:26 pm

Hello, I was wondering if anyone here might know if the 4 speed shifter stick in my 73 Chevelle SS m20 is correct, and if so, is it installed correctly? Attached are some pictures of it. It functions in all the gears but in 2nd and 4th, it looks like it's about to hit the console. Maybe someone re-installed it backwards? If so, how to I fix it? There is a rubber type of grommet/seal between the actual chrome stick and that rectangular base that it plugs into. I didn't try to pry that up in case I don't need to. There are 2 holes in that rectangular base (the part that raises when you go into reverse) and one hole on the passenger side. I can't see any fasteners. Any guidance appreciated!

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Imag0519

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Imag0520

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Imag0521

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Imag0523
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Empty Re: need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick

Post by Joe73 Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:04 am

That is an ITM brand shifter. They work ok but Hurst makes a Competition Plus that is a bolt in. Your shifter handle is flipped around. You need to slide it out, flip it 180 degrees, and slide it back in. Then you should be good to go.
Search ITM shifter handle removal on the net to learn how to get it out. Some people call them stab shifters because the handle stabs into the the shifter to secure.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Empty Re: need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick

Post by clanceman427 Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:00 am

I''ve heard them callled bayonet style as well. There should be a thin spring loaded plate with 3 dowels that lock the stick to the shifter base. Takes some fiddling with feeler gauges to release the stick. I've done it on a Hurst bayonet in the past

Joe thanks, I'm glad to hear that it is the original and it is in backwards, that explains the weird positioning of 2nd and 4th gear
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:02 am

Sorry mis-typed
2 pins. And they're probably called stab sticks because reassembly is just that. Stab it in!
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:39 pm

Well, by process of elimination, I think my shifter stick was in the correct orientation after all Smile I got the stick out tonight, and when I try it swapped 180°, the knob would be inside the radio, hehe. So I guess it was correct after all, just seemed so close to the console on 2nd and 4th.

I tried to find a part number on the base of that stick but I couldn't find anything. I'll just put it back together again.

Would love to see someone else's original ITM shifter stick setup from their 73 SS if they happen to have it still, for comparison.

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Imag0623

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Imag0624

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Shifte10
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:37 am

Its going to be hard to find someone with the factory ITM shifter. People usually switch them right out for the Hurst. I've seen quite a few of them with the factory handle. I think I see the problem. The factory ITM handles that I've seen normally have 2 bends in them. But I have seen SS cars with 3 bends in them similar to yours. So I dont know where the difference occurs. GM parts book only lists and shows one handle and it has only 2 bends.
The factory handle has only 2 bends in it and its not tilted to either side. Your handle has 3 bends in it and its tilted to the right.
The bend closest to the shifter ball is the one I question. But I've seen cars with them. I also wonder about your tilt to the right. Could it be bent or someone wanted a little more room? It should be straight. And then if you remove the handle from the shifter and lie it on a table, it should lay flat (without the ball of course).
This is going off pics that I have. I cant locate my factory shifter in my pile of stuff. Heres a pic from super chevy of a survivor car. I think you may have to just bend some of the tilt out of it and you'll be good to go.

Decent pics here of the shifter in the console and you will notice there is not bend right below the ball. http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucp-1204-1973-chevy-chevelle-super-sport/#photo-06

http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2007/07/01/hmn_feature9.html

Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:40 am

I just looked at your earlier pics. I dont think its a tilt problem but actually a twist problem. When you handle is installed, the bends should be pretty much in line with the drivetrain. Yours, where it stabs into the shifter, looks to be twisted counter clockwise. That would make it hit the console. Dont quote me, but I think thats the issue.
BTW, GM doesnt list different shifters for bench or bucket seats.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:31 pm

Thanks Joe. If you dig up that shifter of yours maybe I'll buy it or ask for some tracings and measurements off it and I can provide you the same off my reverse lock out link Smile
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:51 pm

I have no idea where it is. I looked for it about a year ago and I found my hurst competition plus with handle that was in my car when I bought it. If I come upon it I'll let you know.

But here is a pic from the GM parts manual for 73-74 chevelles. Trans shown in the pic is a muncie since it has the reverse lever on the tail shaft. Just fyi. The pic shows the handle shape that I've always seen. I've only seen yours with the 3 bends maybe once or twice.

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Shifter%20Part%20_zpslrwdetlz
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:20 pm

Thanks Joe. I think at this point I'm going to continue disassembly and replace the clutch and resurface the flywheel and all that while I have the console and shifter apart. Ill probably just reassemble the stick as is and drive the car. I don't think it was touching the console but looked very close and odd to me.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:23 pm

I hear ya. I'm sure it will be fine. I was looking at the muncie pic I posted and noticed that it is a 69 and earlier box since it has studs to mount the shift levers. 70 and later use bolts to mount the shift levers. Not that it matters in the pic. GM just used and old pic and put the new shifter on for the diagram.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:58 pm

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Imag0626

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Imag0625

Looking at the shifter base insert with the 2 pins, and how they match the hole in the bottom of the chrome stick, combined with the originality of the rest of the car, I'd think that this is the original stick, funky bends and all.  The knob does end up being at what appears to be an ergonomic location more or less.  

I've seen chrome sticks that had been heated and bent to change the shape, but in the area of that modification the chrome is burnt off all around the diameter.  On mine, there is still continous chrome along the sides of the stick in the area where we feel it might have been twisted by a previous owner, telling me maybe it wasn't twisted at all and is in the original shape.

The only other thing I thought of is that perhaps a slight collapse of the trans mount is making the tail of the trans sit somewhat lower, and making the clearance between the chrome stick and the console less.  I'll be able to see if that mattered once I replace the trans mount.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:19 pm

Anything is possible. I've seen the handle with 3 bends but very few time. Factory pic only shows 2 bends. And the second bend should definitely be facing forward. That would make the ball move towards the rear of the car.
Either way put a new trans mount in it and see what you have. I bet it will be fine.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:25 am

Tonight I replaced the transmission mount. Wow, take a look at the photo (sorry for the shadows), there is a noticeable difference in height between what was there and the new one:

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Imag0632

So now, the shifter sits a little higher which is great. Here is 1st gear position:

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Imag0711

2nd gear position:

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Imag0712

and 4th gear position, close but no contact:

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Imag0713

You know for as odd as it looks to me, the shifter ends up being in a very comfortable position for me, which is what it's really all about. Cool.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:53 am

Amazing what replacing those worn out parts will do. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:28 am

A world of improvement for $3.39 from NAPA. Smile
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:28 pm

Hey, I was looking through some stuff and came up with this pic of a 73-74 Grand Am shifter handle.  It has 3 bends like yours.  And its also an ITM shifter.  

I think that might explain the odd positioning of the handle.

Just fyi.    http://pontiacpower.org/GrandAmshifters.htm
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:41 pm

Joe, I literally just saw that website for the 1st time last week!..I agree that totally explains my shifter stick! Thanks for posting. I just unbolted my ITM shifter from my trans tonight and I'm working on ways to take the slop out
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:06 am

No problem. Search itm shifter parts or rebuild. The parts are out there. Or put it on the side and put in a competition plus. Very nice shifter.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:08 am

I figured I'd give it a go and try to improve the factory shifter. We''ll see. If I run into road blocks I know I can always grab a nice Hurst Smile
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:38 am

The hurst competiton plus is a bolt in and works with and without a console. I ran it years then put it away in a box. Im running a hurst super shifter III with reverse lockout now.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:23 am

So I got the ITM shifter all taken apart last night, and my plan is to clean it all up real good, grease it good, and I'm going to replace that main pivot tube with a new piece. It's pretty beat up and being the main fulcrum, it's seen years of use and jams and "forgot to turn the key before trying to yank it out of reverse". The rest of the parts like the 3 gates look pretty good on where the actuator fork interfaces it. I'm sure once it's clean (the gritty gunk is horrendous) the function will be much better.

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Imag0915

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Imag0916

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Imag0917

need help with 73 SS 4 speed shifter stick Imag0918
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:30 am

That should do it. It doesnt look that bad but some clean up and lube and it should be good to go.
Nice job.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 pm

Do you think spray on white lithium grease all over the aparts would suffice? That's what I use for automotive door hinges and trailer hitches.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:27 pm

I think it would do but it always seems to dry out over time. The tub of lithium grease doesnt seem to do that. I bought a squeeze tube of Lucas lithium at walmart real cheap.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next