G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

floating guages

5 posters

Go down

floating guages Empty floating guages

Post by MallyMal S-3 Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:51 pm

all my guages (fuel and speedometer) float around and i can never tell what the actual reading is. i know its most likely wiring but could it be the fuse(s)???
MallyMal S-3
MallyMal S-3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

floating guages Empty Re: floating guages

Post by The Dude Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:14 pm

Nothing you can do about the fuel guage. They all float. Unless someone has a fix I don't know about.

If the speedo is bouncing, try taking the speedometer cable out & cleaning it or replacing it if necessary. That will usually fix the problem. Remember to put some white lithium grease on it when you put it back in.

I don't think either of your problems are electrical, definitely not a fuse. These things just come with the territory of owning an older vehicle.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by MallyMal S-3 Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:52 pm

mmmm not the greatest news lol but good to know. thanks rago. is the cable easily traceable from the guage or would it be easier to know the color why?
MallyMal S-3
MallyMal S-3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:28 pm

Big black cable going from transmission to speedo. Can't miss it.

Just how bad does your fuel gauge float? If I take off hard, mine can drop from 1/2 tank down almost 1/4 & slam on the brakes it will jump up. It's just the nature of our fuel level sending unit. Same goes for taking corners hard. If you have a gauge that's just jumping sporadically you might want to change out the sending unit.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by MallyMal S-3 Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:41 pm

looks like i have to change out the sending unit cause it jumps around a little more than yours. if i knew where it was supposed to be, like the correct level, then i wouldnt be so worried but i dont know when the guage is acyually in the correct position. would it be when im at a stand still? does the car have to be on?

oh and thank you for putting up with me, by the way. ive got a whole lot to learn
MallyMal S-3
MallyMal S-3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:13 pm

If you know that your fuel gauge is working properly, then it will only be accurate if your car is on, and when you're on level ground. Like Rago said before, it comes with the territory of an old car.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Redsway76 Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:47 am

just a simple way to look at it the fuel gauge is the only electrical gauge on these cars well on mine i only had fuel and speedo. speedo is a mechanical gauge mine bounce a lil but like Rago if i mat the gass i can visually lose a 1/2tank or more but lock up the brakes and all comes back Smile i love it when cars can make their own gasoline hehe
Redsway76
Redsway76
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:00 am

if your gas gauge is bouncing around erratically, check the ground wire that goes from the body to the sending unit on the tank, and also check to make sure that the wire from the gauge is making a good connection. your car is 35 years old, and the gas tank always gets crap thrown up at it when you are driving down the road, so things are gonna get crusty.
as for the speedo, take the gauge out and pull the inner cable out and clean it with some carb cleaner. smear smear some graphite based lube on it and stick it back in. this should make it work smoother.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down