G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speedometer Grommet

4 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Speedometer Grommet Empty Speedometer Grommet

Post by Joe73 Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:03 pm

Havent seen any discussions on this item. I have my firewall and cowl all stripped down and ready for 2k primer, seam sealer and then paint. My speedometer grommet is all dried out and crumbling. Anyone ever change theirs? What did you use?

I searched the net for the last 2 hours and found nothing for our cars as usual. Our grommet pushes in from the engine side. It has 4 (four) little tabs that clip onto the firewall. And its not rubber but a soft foam. The only similar grommet is the one for the 67-69 camaros. The camaro one has only (3) three tabs but I dont know what size hole its designed to fit. Our speedo hole in the firewall is 1 3/4" diameter.

BTW, the factory seam sealer is dried and brittle. It comes off real easy. I found the seam sealer where the firewall meets the floor (bottom of the firewall) came off real easy and there is some light surface rust under the sealer. Not a big deal and a wire brush removes it easily. So some 2K primer will get any nooks and grannys the brush cant get to.

Just would know if there is any info on where to get a speedo grommet. Thanks guys.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Speedometer Grommet Empty Re: Speedometer Grommet

Post by 77mali Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:24 pm

got a pic of it?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:10 am

I grab a pic for you paul. I was looking at your latest pic of your firewall. Can you grab a close up pic of your speedo grommet?
And possibly try to get a diameter of the firewall hole for me?
The G-body grommets are listed as 76-87. So I might luck out with it fitting.
Is your grommet rubber or like a foam?
Thanks
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:13 am

Sure Joe but which one is it? (All my stuff is disconnected) LOL
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:32 am

Its the fat cable directly to the left of the steering column hole. (9 o'clock to the hole). Directly above the speedo cable is the throttle cable. Speedo cable grommet outside diameter is about 2". So its a big one. I'm hoping your firewall hole is 1 1/2".

Thanks
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:34 am

Ok, pics of my dried out speedo grommet. The front side looks shiny because it was painted with some rustoleum years ago.

Rear snaps into the firewall.
Speedometer Grommet 2rot892

Front with paint on it.
Speedometer Grommet 35kk2mq
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:24 am

With my digital caliper, it's 2" OD on the firewall side.  My pedal assembly is in the way so I didn't remove it but  looks like a compression fit and I'd bet the hole is 1.5"  & I'm thinking the 76 & up will work out for you.
Speedometer Grommet P1060010
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:18 pm

Huh, I forgot that they routed them thru the front, on a console bucket car they go thru the hole by the shifter, not the firewall.
Can't you just buy a rubber grommet from lowes?or another hardware store?

Last edited by chevellelaguna on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:01 pm

Probably not as Joe is a just a "little" obsessed with factory correct  Very Happy 
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Paul is right. I like my stuff to be factory correct or at least easily changed back to original. Especially with all this "73 only" stuff.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:28 pm

chevellelaguna wrote:Huh, I forgot that they routed them thru the front, on a console bucket car they go thru the hole by the shifter, not the firewall.
Can't you just buy a rubber grommet from lowes?or another hardware store?

I believe you're confusing the shifter cable with the speedo cable regarding the floor shifters.

Joe...I can check a few cars and see if I can find a good used one if you'd like. But, chances are they aren't going to look much better than what you've got once I pry them out.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:44 pm

Thanks for the offer but im going to get something that works properly. Opgi and ecklers is showing one good for up to the 75 year. Then i found another one for 76 on. I dont think the pre 75 will work but ill be calling those companies tomorrow.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:18 pm

Joe I was hoping to measure the hole & take out the gas pedal assembly. I intended to set up my brake pedal today but ran out of time working on the frame & suspension. If you can wait I'm working on the car all next weekend & I'll measure the actual hole size. Like it said though- pretty darn sure that it's 1.5" in diameter.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:51 pm

Nah, dont kill yourself. Mine is 2" O.D. as well and the inside is 1 1/2". I'll call around tomorrow and find something. I will post up any info I find.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:52 am

Ok, after loads of searching, I was able to find a page from the GM parts manual.  Found part number 378285 as the correct part number for my 73.  Obviously, the number has been superseded at least two times and I believe its due to design changes.  
I lucked out and found a Chevy dealer on ebay who had it NOS for only $3.93 and free shipping.  He had to send me a couple of pics and dimensions.  Its 2" round with a lip that would allow it to press into the firewall (from the engine side).  The lip is about a 1/4" so that would make it for an 1 1/2" hole.   So I bought it.
I also found gbodyparts.com also sells a grommet that looks identical and it says it fits 76-87 A-G bodys.  
This is what the grommet looks like in case someone needs or wants one.

Thanks for the help guys.  

http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1992
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:55 pm

Ok, got the NOS grommet today.  Same 2" od with  1 1/2" middle.  And it just pushes in like the original.  So no tabs on this one to rust out.  The part that actually pushes in is a hard plastic and the rest of it is a REAL soft rubber material.  Its a real nice piece.  Again, the NOS part number was 378285 and the reproduction is carried by gbodyparts.com.  From what I've read you have to use alot of dishwasher soap to get the end of the speedo cable through the small opening.  I've also read that GM had a small funnel shaped thingie to make things easier.  
Pics below.

Engine side

Speedometer Grommet Ivfpf5

Side that pushes into the firewall.

Speedometer Grommet E6u4qt
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down