G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaky windshield

5 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Leaky windshield Empty Leaky windshield

Post by driveit Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:54 pm

Got a leak. Tired of getting my pant legs wet when driving due to water coming in.

What is the easiest and cheapest fix?

I was thinking of pulling the trim and trying some clear Silicone.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Leaky windshield Empty Re: Leaky windshield

Post by Limey SE Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:08 pm

if the Glass is still good get a quote from a licensed installer to reseal it, will be much better if they do it. In case the window breaks or cracks while you are doing this. If they break it they have to fix it.
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:16 pm

If you know the channel to be solid, silicone will work for a while, but it eventually gives out and you will have to repeat.  If the channel has any rot, silicone will not cut it -- you will have to pull the windshield and fix it to actually remedy the problem.  Either way you will eventually have to go in there at some point to fix it permanently.

The windshield is very easy to break, however, so you might consider Limey's suggestion.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:46 pm

I need a new glass, but can't afford it right now. I don't think there is any rust there, but I have not pulled the trim to look yet. Dreaming of warmer weather!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:51 pm

thatfnthing wrote:If you know the channel to be solid, silicone will work for a while, but it eventually gives out and you will have to repeat.  If the channel has any rot, silicone will not cut it -- you will have to pull the windshield and fix it to actually remedy the problem.  Either way you will eventually have to go in there at some point to fix it permanently.

The windshield is very easy to break, however, so you might consider Limey's suggestion.
When my brother had this problem ('75 lesabre) no glass company would do it without saying "we are not responsible if it breaks".  My dad did manage to seal it up somewhat with a glue gun from the inside. Not totally leak free but waaay better than it was.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:03 pm

Interesting. Mine was already broken, so I removed it to patch the channel. So the responsibility question never came up when Safelite installed the new one.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:09 pm

I had this problem on my '67 Cutlass. I didn't know for sure, but thought the metal to be good. Some how the windshield cracked, unrelated to this, so I called around to glass shops. All of them would replace it without any problem. I was looking for someone to come out and remove it, then leave and let me do any repairs, and then come back when I was ready for them and do the install. I actually found one and they did it for no extra charge. When the glass was out I found a little rot so I repaired the metal, cleaned the entire channel, repainted all and installed new trim clips at the same time. Best thing I ever did!! No more leaks and everything was 100% correctly fixed.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Definitely plane to go that route once cash flow allows.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down