G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

which is more durable, ceramic vs stainless headers?

+5
Bruisr
77mali
pila
dynchel
thatfnthing
9 posters

Go down

which is more durable, ceramic vs stainless headers? Empty which is more durable, ceramic vs stainless headers?

Post by alleyball4 Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:21 pm

Which is more durable, stainless or ceramic headers?

I bought a set of Flowtech long tube uncoated headers, painted them up with high temp paint, and after a few weeks, they looked like they were 100 years old !!

any idea on what type to get that will still look good after a few months?
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

which is more durable, ceramic vs stainless headers? Empty Re: which is more durable, ceramic vs stainless headers?

Post by thatfnthing Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:32 pm

My Doug Thorley Tri-Y's were triple chrome plated, and looked great for 15 years before the rust finally started to come through. I understand ceramics are even better, but when I looked into having mine Jet-Hot coated, I was looking at $600.00.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

which is more durable, ceramic vs stainless headers? Empty Re: which is more durable, ceramic vs stainless headers?

Post by dynchel Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:00 pm

I bought my hooker competition headers with the metallic ceramic coating and they looked good for appx 10 years before rust started to show. They still look OK, but definitely show their age. I have no experience with stainless headers but I would have to imagine they would be better. After all stainless lasts forever doesn't' it? Very Happy
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:09 pm

I got a price on ceramic coating my hookers for $350 at jet hot. I saw that jegs has ceramic coated ones for $280 if I remember correctly. They were also on sale for $230 about 2 months ago.

I also looked at some stainless ones on ebay. Decent deals but the flange seems to be thinner than others. And I also noticed that they arent as long in the collector area.

Not all stainless lasts forever. There are different grades. Some metals corrode and some rust. The metal that has some iron in it will rust. Stainless will corrode over time and that time depends on grade of stainless, 304, 440 etc. Most grades of stainless are NON metallic which means a magnet will not hold to it. But there is some stainless grades that have iron in them and ARE metallic and WILL rust. Thats the cheap stuff.

Alot of stainless coming from china will rust so you have to watch what your getting. I think the term coined for metals from china is "chineseium". Heard that once and thought it was funny.

Another point Ive read is that you shouldnt break in your new engine with ceramic coated headers on it. Something about excessive temps and heating cycles for the coatings to properly cure. I believe that so I'll be keeping my painted hookers for break in and then switching out.

My first choice will be stainless headers if I can find a set with good gauge thickness of pipe and nice thick flange. I like the coating idea but it is just a "coating" when stainless is the actual metal itself. I dont mind if they eventually turn the blueish purple color, as long as they dont rot away.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:30 pm

good info ... thanks guys

Last edited by alleyball4 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:30 pm

I have a new engine build, so I may break it in first with the old uncoated, and then see if I can find some nice stainless at a decent price .... thanks for all the help

Last edited by alleyball4 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:49 pm

Stainless will never change much, except maybe for cracks, unless it's the cheaper 400 series stainless, rather than the 300 series. My ceramic headers are pitted bad already, with about 3000 miles on them, over a period of about six years.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:53 pm

It's a good idea to ask what gauge tubing & what type of stainless is used. 304 Stainless is a good choice & seems to be the industry standard & there is also 321 grade for continuous extreme temps- for racing.

I've seen some stainless headers online that I'd have to take out a 2nd mortgage but the right set will last a long time I reckon.

A "mild steel' set are cheap enough that if you get sick of them you can toss them & you're not much worse off or paint & refresh every couple seasons. That's my game plan until I can afford the good ones. Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:33 pm

I have a set of jet hot headers( they make and sell their own) they have the 3/8 in. thick flange. They gotta be about 8 yrs. old. They look really good considering their age. Keep in mind I dont clean or polish them, which should be done. Whatever it is they recommend keeps them looking new. However, like chrome they scratch easy, and if deep enough will cause issues. I believe they were about 350 new. I had a set of chrome pipes on my harley jet hot coated black, they look great, but they scratch easily and only way to fix is to recoat. The pipes are about 40 inches long and cost 100 ea to coat.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:48 pm

LOL @ "Chineseium"
rabbit

Sorry to get off topic but I can't tell you how many times Chinese products have failed me. One I can think of @ the moment (but there are lots more) are those rubber tie down straps with the S hooks. When I was younger and stuff was still made here those were EPDM rubber & lasted forever & stretched out like a b!atch. I bought a set not long ago @ Harbor Freight & they didn't last me the winter. Turd Many, many companies over there just don't meet high standards.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:22 pm

I'll drink to that!!!!
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:57 am

X2 Cheesey chinese stuff. Lots of lead to boot.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 pm

stainless will radiate more heat into the engine compartment than ceramic coated headers will. The ceramic actually blocks alot of the heat if they are coated inside and out. Also since the heat is staying inside the headers the exhaust gases will be hotter and will flow more, remember as air cools it becomes more dense.

which is more durable, ceramic vs stainless headers? SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:47 pm

so blackchevelless ... it sounds like a high quality ceramic coated is the best for your motor?
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:16 pm

I have ceramic coated but... Joe73 is correct and I wish I had known not to break in an engine with them. I pretty much ruined a set of $400 headers doing this. So be careful and don't learn the hard way as I did.
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down