G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham

+4
bigredlaguna
Biomedtech
1973 454 MONTE
Brainstain
8 posters

Go down

Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham Empty Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham

Post by knightfan26917 Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:52 pm

"My world is changing" __ Faith Hill __ 'Where Are You Christmas?'

If it wasn't completely official yet, it became so 12/12/2012, when I put the license plates on it:
Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham 89CC_licenseplates_on2

WELCOME to the family, 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham!

The same day, I put the keys for both of my Caprice Classics on the "'Caprice' w/CC emblem" key rings that a friend sent me. Now, I just need to give my 1989 Caprice Classic its 1st detail.... As I put on the plates, I was excited but still had a twinge of sadness, which probably will never completely go away.

This 1989 Caprice Classic just sort of fell into my lap. A friend & I went to look at it, figuring it would be nothing more than an exercise in determining what I would NOT want in an '89 CC. In fact, it was just the opposite. Looking it over, it became clear that it was in top mechanical shape with a few cosmetic issues ... & the price was good. The seller actually lowered it for me b/c he wanted me to have it given my "car history". Brought it home, with the help of the same friend, 10/26/2012.

1979 Caprice Classic & 1989 Caprice Classic plates; which season do you prefer?
Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham 89CC_79CC_whichSeason

I was able to make a bit more "connection" w/my newest acquisition b/c I found some original documentation in the 1989 Caprice Classic's glove compartment. The ones pictured (not including documentation w/names & addresses) are: "A service signals checklist for the car owner"; "GM Maintenance Schedule for Passenger Cars"; "1989 Warranty & Owners Assistance Information"; 1989 Caprice owners manual; "Used Vehicle Disclosure Label" (from 1993); "Vehicle Invoice" (1993); "Dealer Certification for Emission Control Equipment" (06/09/1989); Pre-Delivery inspection papers (1989); Burtness Chevrolet Inc (WI) "maintenance folio"....
Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham 89CC_14

This was taken just after the new wire wheels were installed:
Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham 89CC_16

3 of the entire family:
Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham 11162012_Family_01

Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham 11172012_Family_01

Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham 11172012_Family_03

Cort | 39.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 2 MCs + '79 & '89 Caprice Classics
CHD.cars + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
* roadsNwheels + CapriceClassicForum = http://rdwhl-capriceclassic.proboards.com/ *
"It's the right time to rock the night away" __ Bobby Helms __ 'Jingle Bell Rock'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham Empty Re: Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham

Post by Brainstain Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:58 am

I had a burgundy 86 2 door and a tan/gold 89 4 door in high school. I loved those cars.

Brainstain
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham Empty Re: Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham

Post by dynchel Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:45 am

I also had a 86 caprice classic Landau 2door when i was in my early 20's. That's the one and only car that i got rid of that i wish i still had. Good luck with yours.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:06 am

Cort

did you get the right stuff to mount those wire caps? would hate for you to loose one.

I have a 86 caprice that i got from my g-parents.gonna get it ready for my 14yo to drive in a year and a half. he just told me he dont like the rallies and wants the wire caps on it. i know where the caps are,but have to find the connecting hardware. i know i have it,because when i got the car,the wires were on it.

just curious,are you gonna try for 1 of every gen of caprices now?hehelol
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:48 pm

I had a 82 ,grey ,looked like an undercover cop car. Drove the snot out of it and sold it to my friend then a tranny line burst and caught it on fire and that was the end. I never got stuck in the snow with it and never called a tow truck for it.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:11 pm

Heh, I had a white 89 back in my Army days, Loved driving across the country in that car. Everyone got out of the way when I came up behind em in that car!
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:01 am

I like the look of the 89 better with the flush headlights.

My parents had a 1984 Caprice. I remember that car getting 30+ mpg fully loaded with 6 people and luggage in the trunk while on vacation in Missouri. I know it wasn't a fluke because my wife's grandfather had an 83 that was mechanically identical and it would bust 30 mpg also.

These cars are what make me wonder why we aren't getting 40-50 mpg on avg now, because the caprices had electronically controlled Q-jets which really only affected idle and part throttle operation.

Granted, there wasn't very much HP, but the car still got the job done.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:51 am

My friend had a 85 that he said would get high 20's on the highway too. You are right about the MPG thing. They were much better for a family car than what we have today. A few more modern options and they would have been golden.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim_Rockford Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:23 pm

options are over rated, I love my 77 with manual windows, door locks and just a/c and tilt, could use cruise though , but I prolly won't take many long trips in it since I just picked this up for 750 bucks..

Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham IMG_1752_zps80b8337e
Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham IMG_1760_zps06df2e74
Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham IMG_1762_zpsb405d223
Jim_Rockford
Jim_Rockford
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:54 pm

Town Car ! Nice choice! Thats another tough car!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:18 am

My daily driver is a'03 crown Victoria (bought new) and i must say it is the smoothest riding car built in recent years. I wish they didn't stop building them completely. Sad
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:19 pm

*beams*

Thank you, ALL!!!!

Brainstain wrote:I had a burgundy 86 2 door and a tan/gold 89 4 door in high school. I loved those cars.

Oh, indeed! Have any pics of the ones you had?

dynchel wrote:I also had a 86 caprice classic Landau 2door when i was in my early 20's. That's the one and only car that i got rid of that i wish i still had. Good luck with yours.

Thank you! Loving it so far, of course! Any pics of your CC?

1973 454 MONTE wrote:Cort

did you get the right stuff to mount those wire caps? would hate for you to loose one.

Actually ... we didn't need it. Believe it or not, these wire caps are more secure on the wheels than the "cop" version hubcaps that came with it when I bought it.

1973 454 MONTE wrote:
I have a 86 caprice that i got from my g-parents.gonna get it ready for my 14yo to drive in a year and a half. he just told me he dont like the rallies and wants the wire caps on it. i know where the caps are,but have to find the connecting hardware. i know i have it,because when i got the car,the wires were on it.

I remember seeing pics of yours, Chris! Glad he is going to be driving it. I prefer the wire wheels for sure on these; glad he does, too! Wink

1973 454 MONTE wrote:just curious,are you gonna try for 1 of every gen of caprices now?hehelol

LOL!!!!!! No ... not a chance. The only other CC I'd like to have ... either a 1975 convertible (the ONLY coupe CC I'd ever have) or a 1975 or 1976 Caprice Classic sedan....... Course, I wouldn't mind adding a LTD CS wagon, too. lol

ant7377 wrote:I had a 82 ,grey ,looked like an undercover cop car. Drove the snot out of it and sold it to my friend then a tranny line burst and caught it on fire and that was the end. I never got stuck in the snow with it and never called a tow truck for it.

OUCH ... sad ending, to be sure. These will take a beating & keep on going.... Any pics of your '82?

Biomedtech wrote:Heh, I had a white 89 back in my Army days, Loved driving across the country in that car. Everyone got out of the way when I came up behind em in that car!

LOL! Yes, they do with me, particularly in the "older" and "meaner" '79 CC. Any pics of your '89?

bigredlaguna wrote:I like the look of the 89 better with the flush headlights.

Me, too! Any pics of your folks '84 CC?

And, you're right about the mileage. I've been able to get 19-21 out of this one so far.

ant7377 wrote:They were much better for a family car than what we have today.

AMEN!!!!! Which is why I love driving the older cars. Wink

Jim_Rockford wrote:options are over rated, I love my 77 with manual windows, door locks and just a/c and tilt, could use cruise though , but I prolly won't take many long trips in it since I just picked this up for 750 bucks..

That's a sweet Town Car, JR! CONGRATULATIONS!

OK ... going to need some parts for both of these. That I know of (or can remember, I should say) ... :

'79 CC
exhaust/muffler
links/joints (front)

'89 CC
gas tank
links/joints (front)

Anyone have any suggestions on where to go or look?

Cort | 39.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 2 MCs + '79 & '89 Caprice Classics
CHD.cars + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed" __ Linkin Park __ 'Leave Out All The Rest'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim_Rockford Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:33 pm

I had a decent 2 door 87 , last year for em, I really wanted to make something of it, but I just had a short attention span.

Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham P1000328
Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham P1000330
Official intro ... 1989 Caprice Classic Brougham P1000329

I miss that car...
Jim_Rockford
Jim_Rockford
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down