G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wallys 74 project

+21
Limey SE
dynchel
ecuto74
knightfan26917
77mali
ant7377
pila
michiganlarry
driveit
thatfnthing
toms74laguna
dragons_lair59
WyldeBill66
G3NUT
Joe73
Landonus
1973 454 MONTE
Hawk03
Brainstain
1973montec
BicknellWelding
25 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

wallys - Wallys 74 project - Page 3 Empty Re: Wallys 74 project

Post by Wallyuph Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:53 pm

Sorry I don't think you will have a issue
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:27 am

Here is a update as it has been a while since I have been able to work on it. I got the Body wiring done so All lights and turns signals work. Took it for a test drive to get some fuel in it. I have some running issues as it trips a Mass air flow code. But it's a dog off the line and from half pedal to floor makes no difference. Shift really slow between gears then bogs after shifts. Not real thrilled with tune the guy did for my stand alone ECM. It starts great and idols perfect. Now looking at getting my own software programing so we can start tweaking this thing. I did get it up to 95mph.

Good news is The breaks work great. It moves on its own. And yes the hood clears.

[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/220]wallys - Wallys 74 project - Page 3 Hood_110

[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/221]wallys - Wallys 74 project - Page 3 Hood_210
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganlarry Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:09 pm

That shaker looks sweet. Nice job.
michiganlarry
michiganlarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:51 am

The scoop is just sitting in the hole. I need to decide if I should mount it to the hood or fab up some thing to mount it to top of intake. Need to get it running better first. Did some more reading and found that aftermarket Mass air flows do not always work as well as Gm ones.  I had bought a new one as I did not get that with my drop out set up. The only part I did not get. Going to try a Gm one next week and see what happens. If that does not help will need to look into software to reprogram ECM. Its the only code it shows. If you drive it like a "old man" its fine .

Last edited by Wallyuph on Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:58 pm

I love that hood.

Take a look at this page towards the bottom- maybe they can send you a diagram?

https://www.yearone.com/Catalog/1967-81-firebird/air_fuel/shaker-hood-components
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:09 pm

I'll have to fab up my own bracket to hold scoop or attached to the hood as I don't have a carb that the original air cleaner set up mounted to.

[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/222]wallys - Wallys 74 project - Page 3 Cold_a10
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:31 pm

Ah...I see. I'm sure you're up for the challenge.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:02 pm

Dude's got skillz!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganlarry Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:04 am

Wally where did you get your cold air intake setup. Looks sweet.
michiganlarry
michiganlarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:32 am

I got the info from G3Nut he was nice enough to let me know what he used.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-97-Firebird-Formula-Trans-AM-5-7-V8-COLD-AIR-INTAKE-KIT-DRY-FILTER-/370784686829?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACamaro&hash=item56547d52ed&vxp=mtr

Then made it fit.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:54 am

Looks great! The only issue with those, though, is that all that metal tubing gets pretty hot. If not insulated, the nice cold air you brought in will pick up significant heat as it travels to the throttle body, thus negating the benefit of the cold air intake in the first place. I had to wrap mine with insulation, which worked, but then it looked like crap.Rolling Eyes 

I would be very interested to see what solution you come with for the shaker scoop -- I've often toyed with the idea for mine, but with TPI I have the same issue you do -- nothing to mount it to, let alone a way to make it functional.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:00 am

Mine will just be for looks. The hood was already cut when I got the car so just got lucky it will clear the intake as truck intake are way taller than the car on is on LS set up.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganlarry Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:08 am

Hard to tell from the pic but did you build a box around the filter?
michiganlarry
michiganlarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:05 am

No its just sitting there for now. Working on getting it running better then will get little things finished up. I have no dash yet as I will making my own again. I have a Vintage Air with defrost to mount then build around it for the dash. So I have all my dash wiring just zip tied up to lower windshield. I used my GPS for a speedo so would not get a ticket for test runs.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:55 am

To make it functional if there is room could a person make it 2 pc and have the top mounted to hood bottom mounted with a couple of pcs of flat stock going to intake bolts and 2 tubes in u shapes running from sides to the throttle body? And form base to fit a newer car square/rectangle air filter
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:12 pm

My problem would be also getting the MAF sensor in there somewhere between the TB and the filter.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:14 am

I replaced the Mass air flow sensor last fall and found that was my problem. It's running great now. It was a brand new part but we have all been there just because its new does not always mean it works right. I did plan to get more done this winter on it but a friend wanted to buy it off me so I let it sit tell spring for him. Now he backed out so I plan to get the stock dash back in a new gauges  hooked up. I'll end up driving it while I do some upgrades to the 73 malibu or unit it sells. Not much left to be done if someone is looking for a unique ride here.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

wallys - Wallys 74 project - Page 3 Empty t tops

Post by toms74laguna Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:01 pm

Any idea what those t tops came out of that are on wallys car? Ive always wanted t tops on my laguna.

toms74laguna
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:28 pm

I believe the entire roof is from a grand am.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:27 am

dynchel wrote:I believe the entire roof is from a grand am.

That's what I was told. I did some research and I believe they were the first Generation of hurt T-tops as they do not have the metal frame around the opening. I was told the guy who did it Welded in steel all around to reinforce in. If you pull one out there is two tabs welded in the roof that go in the T-top removable section. I think he cut them in him self as gaskets are just the normal non T-tops we have.

wallys - Wallys 74 project - Page 3 <a href=wallys - Wallys 74 project - Page 3 Photo_13" />

wallys - Wallys 74 project - Page 3 <a href=wallys - Wallys 74 project - Page 3 Photo_14" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganlarry Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:58 pm

Wallyuph wrote:I replaced the Mass air flow sensor last fall and found that was my problem. It's running great now. It was a brand new part but we have all been there just because its new does not always mean it works right. I did plan to get more done this winter on it but a friend wanted to buy it off me so I let it sit tell spring for him. Now he backed out so I plan to get the stock dash back in a new gauges  hooked up. I'll end up driving it while I do some upgrades to the 73 malibu or unit it sells. Not much left to be done if someone is looking for a unique ride here.

What was yours doing? I started up my sons last weekend and it is missing pretty bad. How can you test the MAF?
michiganlarry
michiganlarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:10 pm

Mine was just a dog and kept pulling a Mass air flow code. The part was brand new form Auto zone. I searched forums and most said to go to GM and get one. Well I took a gamble and went to Used parts place and they handed me a GM one. I did not want to pay a lot if this was not the problem so I went used. It fried right up and ran well. I also changed fuel filter in line on frame as the car had sat for years and I cleaned out the tank but you never know what could have been in the line. We purged out the line and caught the fuel in a bucket and it was clear. But I think the filter was plugged up or close to it. It runs great now.

Just fired it up as I have gauges hooked up just working on tach as its after market then can bolt the dash in and gauge cluster.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Is the check engine light on? Try a scan tool and see if it pulled any codes
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by michiganlarry Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:27 pm

I don't have a check engine light in it yet. LOL

I do have a cheap scan tool though. I will try that when I can get some time to get out there.
michiganlarry
michiganlarry
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:44 pm

michiganlarry wrote:I don't have a check engine light in it yet.  LOL

I do have a cheap scan tool though.  I will try that when I can get some time to get out there.

That's so funny that's the first thing I hooked up as I wanted to know if any this was going on that Was not right.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next