G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New 1974 Malibu Classic owner in Seattle

+6
Graham Perkins
1973 454 MONTE
pila
74MonteCarlo
Brainstain
JB2wheeler
10 posters

Go down

New 1974  Malibu Classic owner in Seattle Empty New 1974 Malibu Classic owner in Seattle

Post by carcass Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:05 am

Helllo all,
Glad to find a specific forum for these awesome cars! I live near Seattle Wa. and just picked up a 1974 Malibu Classic, a little bit of a fixer upper. But all in all a good deal. I'm into all cars but am a recent Chevrolet convert. I like the interchangability of them and the small block never ceases to amaze me. Although a big block would also be nice, my Malibu has a 817 casting 2 bolt 400 small block. And turbo 350. Non AC car with bench seat and power discs in front drums in back.

It also has a rearend I have yet to completely identify, it is a ten bolt rear cover but is shaped kinda like an hour glass, or rather a circle with two scallops cut into it inline with the axle tubes. When I pulled the cover, low and behold, NO C Clips! they are bolt in axles. The ring gear is bolted to the carrier with ten bolts and measures at least 8.5 but may be 8.7" but my measuring under the car a tape measure and a couple flat pieces of metal to stick on either side of the ring gear seems inaccurate at best. So I spent a long time on the internet trying to find out what it is and basically found out it is harder to get parts for. It has 3.08 gears, 40 ring gear teeth 13 pinion.
Send me a message if you can if you can help identify it , and let me know if its worth rebuilding or not. Did Chevelle,Malibus have bolt in axle rears stock? or is this a B.O.P. only housing?
Thanks Carcass
glad to be here
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

New 1974  Malibu Classic owner in Seattle Empty Re: New 1974 Malibu Classic owner in Seattle

Post by carcass Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:12 am

[img]New 1974  Malibu Classic owner in Seattle Nov_3r12[/img]
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

New 1974  Malibu Classic owner in Seattle Empty Re: New 1974 Malibu Classic owner in Seattle

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:16 am

Welcome to the site. I have a 1974 Elkie that my dad bought brand new. It came with the Olsmobile rear end from the factory. It is called a 10 bolt, 8.5 inch gear. These rears are excellant packages and you have a very unusual article with the 3.08 gear. You can get rear end info on these by taking a piece of steel wool or fine sandpaper and rubbing the front side of the right axle tube about 8 inches from the pumpkin. The letters and numbers you see there will be code for gearing. Do you have posi or is it an open rear? The code number will give that info as well. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:34 am

the axle tubes are pretty rusty, but I'll try to look into getting the codes off of it. I could more than likely get casting codes of the center section though. The carrier is open/no posi. I wish it was a posi cuz the 400 small block is fairly healthy, has headers and cherry bomb turbos, with a weiand intake and a q-jet and it fries one tire without mercy at anything more than 1/3rd throttle.
Please, more help and info on this rear and would be great. Can the carriere be swapped with a standard chevy 8.5 ten bolt carrier? I have a 71 Nova that I put a 8.5 ten bolt into(tookout the 8.2). Can they share parts at all? What axles should I expect when I pull one out? Can axle bearings be bought easily?
I have a mini spool for a 8.5 ten bolt 28 spline c-clip rear that I'd like to use in the 1974 Malibu I got will it work?
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainstain Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:15 am

Normally Cutlass's have the bolt in axles. They will have a different seal and bearings than a Chevy 10 bolt.

Brainstain
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:41 am

Nice looking Chevelle. I used to have a 74 (base) Malibu.

Is that your 06-07 Monte Carlo, too?

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:08 am

Welcome to a great site ! Very Happy I have a '74 Malibu also. Like JB2 said, the code on the axle tube is what can tell you what you have. Seems like the BOP rear ends are more common than what folks originally thought. The stamped-in code usually survives the rust on the axle tube, and some sanding will usually clean it enough to read it.

Bill

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:24 am

Welcome
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Graham Perkins Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:12 pm

Welcome , that looks like a nice solid car to start with. With the 400 small block that should be a fun car. Be sure to post pictures as you get it fixed up.

Thanks Graham
Graham Perkins
Graham Perkins
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:13 am

Nice looking Malibu!
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Checyxtc Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Beefy looking Chevelle man she look good.
Checyxtc
Checyxtc
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:13 pm

so today I put a mini spool in the ten bolt, and now it does spectacular burnouts and slides sideways at the drop of a hat.
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by LSANTI76 Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:09 pm

Sounds like you have the "Fun Factor" going when driving your Malibu (with a spool Very Happy ). Did you change out your 3.08s? I have the same rear end that yours has minus the spool. I did go with an Auburn posi & 3.42s. I always that it was odd that the used these Olds rear ends in a Chevrolet product. Oh well...no C clips to worry about. Looks like your Malibu is solid rust free car to progress towards other ideas & goals you may have for future modifications. I also like the 8.5 Outlaw wheels. I once ran those wheels for a couple years on my '76 before I decided to run slots instead. I'm partial to slots due to when growing up my dad bought his new Grand Prix back in '73(which he still has). Well in 1974 he bought after market ET slots for it. So of coarse this made an impression on me for slotted wheels.
LSANTI76
LSANTI76
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:03 pm

Yah it is odd about the Olds rearend, and no c clips is okay, but the trade off of weird more expensive axle bearings and seals is not so cool. I put the mini spool in the ten bolt and kept the 3.08 gears, and believe me the axle bearings are under full protest around slow corners. I can actually hear the brake drum slapping the shoes as I turn and the inside wheel hops a little.

The mini spool I used was designed for a c clip ten bolt and makes use of the end of the axles to hold apart to blocks of steel that ride on the center pin. So as I have the olds rearend and the axles do not protrude past the inside edge of the side gears I had to stack up hardened washers on the center pin between these two steel blocks so they are wedged against the carrier inside, oh well yankee know how I guess. But I don't expect the axle or carrier bearings to live for very long. I live in hopes for a nine inch setup from Moser after it dies.
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:07 pm

Also anyone with knowledge of my wheels give me a shout about it please. they are cast as one piece and have the size listed as 15x8.5 and measure about 3 3/4" back spacing.

They also say ART HALE on the inside but no country of origin can be seen. I searched the net and only found some information about Art Hale wheels history and Parnelli Jones was involved with the purchase and at one time it appears they owned American Racing.
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Checyxtc Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:20 am

I do believe they are Centerline Outlaw wheels my friend, I had an identical set on an 86 Grand Prix I built.
Checyxtc
Checyxtc
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:36 am

Checyxtc wrote:I do believe they are Centerline Outlaw wheels my friend, I had an identical set on an 86 Grand Prix I built.

there were centerline wheels that said Art hale on the inside? Or did Centerline aquire Art Hale?
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Checyxtc Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:38 pm

MHT Luxury Alloy Wheels was created by Art Hale Jr., son of racing legend Art Hale Senior. Art Jr. worked for his father's wheel company American Racing Wheels, the largest company in the business selling as many as two million wheels a year by the time it was sold in 1988. A few years after the sale, Art Jr. started MHT Luxury Wheels with brands Foose Classic Wheels and Niche Road Wheels. Earlier this year, Art Hale Jr. acquired the U.S. Mags brand that his father has started years ago.
Checyxtc
Checyxtc
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down