G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Normal" Cam Wear

4 posters

Go down

"Normal" Cam Wear Empty "Normal" Cam Wear

Post by 77mali Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:20 am

I measured my cam lobes w/ digital calipers and am getting readings that indicate slightly uneven wear on some. Most read 1.550" but there are some that are off and read in the range of 1.535-1.549"..are these acceptable tolerances that will be nullified by lashing? I'm assuming they are "close enough" but want to make certain. Measurements are from the bottom of the lobes to the top & center of the taper. Thoughts/experiences appreciated.

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

"Normal" Cam Wear Empty Re: "Normal" Cam Wear

Post by ant7377 Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:23 am

Paul,that seems pretty minor,I might give a call to Lunati or Competition cams and see what they say though.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:04 am

For the type of cams we run (flat tappet) you need to have an oil with high amounts of ZDDP. Or at least add some ZDDP to the oil you like to run. Otherwise you can wipe out cams real quick. From what I've been reading I think oil recommended for diesels has high ZDDP. Just FYI.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:34 pm

Yes, ZDDP is a must have for sure or you can use something like Joe Gibbs "race oil" which has a very high zinc content. I'm going to run 10W-30, 5 quarts less 1 bottles worth of the ZDDP.

I actually delivered my engine block & related stuff to the engine shop today and brought the cam for them to look at...don't know why I didn't think to do this in the 1st place but I was told that the wear is within tolerance & the cam was in good shape! {sign of relief}
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:14 am

Production cams aren't necessarily perfect. Even the timing of the firing order between cylinders can be off a degree or two..
And a stock cam is made on a production line, so it depends on the machine tolerances, and the operator.
Comp Cams & others have an additive for break-in, and oil changes, when using "modern" oil.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down