G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

is my vin tag supposed to have mig welding slag on it?

5 posters

Go down

is my vin tag supposed to have mig welding slag on it? Empty is my vin tag supposed to have mig welding slag on it?

Post by 73 Guy Sun May 27, 2012 12:28 am

[justify]

Just pulled the front windshield. The Vin tag is a separate piece of metal and doesn't have that factory look. The cracked dash directly above the Vin is further deepening the pit in my stomach right now.... someone please tell me this is original Head Bang

is my vin tag supposed to have mig welding slag on it? Photobucket-22414-1338092413266

is my vin tag supposed to have mig welding slag on it? Photobucket-31125-1338092462398

73 Guy
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

is my vin tag supposed to have mig welding slag on it? Empty Re: is my vin tag supposed to have mig welding slag on it?

Post by 77mali Sun May 27, 2012 7:59 am

Is what's in your 1st pic the tag itself or what was underneath it?

I've read on several forums this company can help you with a new one. You'll have to provide them with proof of ownership. Good luck.

http://www.datatags.com/
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

is my vin tag supposed to have mig welding slag on it? Empty Re: is my vin tag supposed to have mig welding slag on it?

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun May 27, 2012 9:48 am

Hard to tell from the pic, but are you sure this isn't just corrosion combined with years of dirt buildup? I've seen some badly corroded VIN plates where you can't even read the numbers. Maybe have to pop it loose to see if you can read the numbers from the backside?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun May 27, 2012 9:54 am

The tag should be attached by 2 star like rivets that go under the dash. The tag it self also has a few different bends in it. If any one has
Their dash out they can take a pic. I have a couple of pics, but have not brought my computer to the new house yet.

If you have the air and heat stuff out of the engine bay, your vin will be stamped in the metal near the blower fan hole. Should also be a blue sticker on the driver side door with vin number.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun May 27, 2012 2:12 pm

I would be more worried about the rust than the VIN tag. A new tag could be made or bought, and of course the title & registration have the VIN number. A new tag should go where the original was, after rust repair.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum