G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have a question on wheel opening moldings

+4
ant7377
Limey SE
yogreasygramma
BlackChevelleSS
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Have a question on wheel opening moldings Empty Have a question on wheel opening moldings

Post by orange Juiced Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:39 am

I cant find anything off google about this, maybe u guys can help out.

I found a wrecking yard intown and few others out of town that have a few 73-77 GMs. What GM models match up with the malibu? I know the front 2 molding from the chevelle and the elcamino are the same as the malibu, but does any others match up? What about the rear ones, what matches with those?

Thanks guys
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Have a question on wheel opening moldings Empty Re: Have a question on wheel opening moldings

Post by ant7377 Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:56 am

You can only use them off a Malibu or Elcamino.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Have a question on wheel opening moldings Empty Re: Have a question on wheel opening moldings

Post by orange Juiced Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:04 am

does anyone have part #'s for all 4 mouldings for a 77 Malibu Classic? Is there any differences between the rear moudings from a Malibu and Malibu Classic? What about for a 76 and 77, any difference? I thought it was all the same?
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:46 am

you can use ones from montes, malibu's, elky rear ones WILL not work i will check to see which other ones will work by parts book i have tommorow

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:28 pm

Maligoon's right- the only ones that aren't used in between models are the el Camino rear wheel trim moldings. I found this out the hard way when this guy in a Fox body smacked my wheel opening molding with his door in the middle of our local car show.

Took me almost 5 months of searching before I found some friggin' decent moldings. Turns out all 73-77 GM A-bodies share this part.

That guy still owes me 200 bucks for the stuff HE messed up... Evil or Very Mad
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:49 pm

man that would piss me off!

Have a question on wheel opening moldings SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:14 am

You know the real kicker? He told me he restored cars for a living, meaning he could get me some restoration quality parts blah blah blah. Long story short, he said he would call me as soon as he was shipping it to me.

So I waited about 3 months without a call. I thought "that's ok. I've been looking for the stupid thing for about the same amount of time"

When I found mine, I figured I could give him the receipt and he would pay for it. One problem-it turns out he moved a week after he gave me his contact info!!!

It's one thing if he just called me and said he couldn't find the damn part. The guy I bought the car from had recently restored it so it's still practically brand spankin' new. I wasn't about to set some POS parts on it. Luckilly, I found some NOS wheel moldings. cheers

It's okay. He's a regular member at the car club, so he should be at the first meeting of the year. I figure he either pays up or gets a face full of big-A$$ stock-style bumper-dom lol!
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:16 am

Sorry I just realized my story shoulda been a new thread. I COMPLETELY got off the topic. My bad....
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:29 am

IndyG3 - I would be PO too, just even trying to find these moldings that are some what in good shape is almost impossible. make sure he pays u back, if not take a hammer to his moldings. Laughing
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:04 am

He has no moldings! He has a Fox-body Mustang! It's not fair Sad
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by yogreasygramma Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:34 am

THE MALIGOON wrote:you can use ones from montes, malibu's, elky rear ones WILL not work i will check to see which other ones will work by parts book i have tommorow

Really? This seems mighty strange to me. Are you saying Monte Carlos share these exact parts with other G3s? The part numbers are even the same?! It seems to me that the Monte has completely different lines and shape of both front and rear wheel wells.
yogreasygramma
yogreasygramma
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by yogreasygramma Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:36 am

"Maligoon's right- the only ones that aren't used in between models are the el Camino rear wheel trim moldings. I found this out the hard way when this guy in a Fox body smacked my wheel opening molding with his door in the middle of our local car show.

Took me almost 5 months of searching before I found some friggin' decent moldings. Turns out all 73-77 GM A-bodies share this part."

Have a question on wheel opening moldings Dsc0171rd6

Have a question on wheel opening moldings Cimg0412

Have a question on wheel opening moldings Dsc_0110_800x600
yogreasygramma
yogreasygramma
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:00 am

I found this guy the other night on ebay, and i just bought all 4 of these. scratch Hopfully the rear ones do fit, since it only listed up to 76.

R front

L front

L rear

R rear
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by yogreasygramma Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:12 am

Hey, thanks for the link to that seller, Juiced. He's got a bunch of great parts. I don't see any for a second generation Monte, but I have located an NOS set already. Too bad there's nothing for a fourth generation Monte either, because I've been looking for those parts for a long time.
yogreasygramma
yogreasygramma
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:57 pm

yogreasygramma wrote:Hey, thanks for the link to that seller, Juiced. He's got a bunch of great parts. I don't see any for a second generation Monte, but I have located an NOS set already. Too bad there's nothing for a fourth generation Monte either, because I've been looking for those parts for a long time.

oh your welcome, we all can use help trying to locate parts.
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:37 am

My wheel opening moldings are stick on's. *rolls eyes*

They were on it when I got the car. Oh well. The stick on ones are kind of better, IMO. They won't tarnish, they won't dent, and water does not lay inside of them to rot out the fenders.

I'd love get get an NOS set someday.

Excuse me, while I saw off my left arm.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:52 pm

I really dont think you can use them from a Monte, none of them .

Heres the Monte part# 6258034 & 6258033
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:30 pm

ant i have 2 monte carlo (one drivers front and on passenger rear) molding on my car right now that is why i say they WILL work and the front came from a 73 monte and the back came from a 77

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by yogreasygramma Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:13 pm

Goon, they might physically screw on, but the shape of the wheel wells are different on a Monte and Malibu.

Kyle, I've never seen stick on trim for a Monte, but I can't tell from your pictures. I think you can contact Phil Kmett at montemania.com for NOS wheel well trim. He wants $150 per piece, at least that's what I paid last year.
yogreasygramma
yogreasygramma
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:30 pm

the holes were a perfect fit didnt have to change anything nor bend to accomidate the holes

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:25 pm

They look so different,are the part #'s the same? Dosent the bottom of the Chevelle fender kind of bend in a little behind the tire. I cant believe they fit.
Cutlass ones definatly wont fit they have a severe turn in at the bottom.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:33 pm

You know what I was just looking at a 77 Chevelle on Ebay and it looks like they could work its not that off, I guess I never really looked hard at the wheel opening's before.
Incidentally heres a nice 77 on ebay Item # 110348920758
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:04 pm

yogreasygramma wrote:Kyle, I've never seen stick on trim for a Monte, but I can't tell from your pictures. I think you can contact Phil Kmett at montemania.com for NOS wheel well trim. He wants $150 per piece, at least that's what I paid last year.

They are not factory. What I believe happened(not for sure) is that the original stainless ones got all dinged up, and these stick ons were put on. The paint has been touched up around the wheel wells, too. The car was owned by 2 older women(mother, then daughter, both are dead)(I'm sure you're probably thinking "thats what they all say") and maybe they hit a few things, dinged them, and took them off. Ya know how you can buy rubber door edge moldings/guards by the roll at Murray's or any other auto store? I think that's how these came, and they were cut to fit.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:04 pm

I just got my wheel opening molding today and they fit and look great. The rear ones look like there not for the models with the rocker trim, but they still fit. But I'm not sure since i was test fitting them in the dark and very little light.

EDIT: PUT THE LINK IN THE EBAY SECTION FOR SALE TO HELP OTHERS FIND IT BETTER
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:51 pm

IndyG3 wrote: I found this out the hard way when this guy in a Fox body smacked my wheel opening molding with his door in the middle of our local car show.

those dam ford guys, no respect i tell ya, no respect! scratch

F.O.R.D= Found On Road Dead
F.O.R.D= F***ED OVER REBUILT DODGE
F.O.R.D= FIX OR REPAIR DAILY
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next