G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caprice vs. Interceptor vs. Impala vs Charger

+5
knightfan26917
The Dude
dragons_lair59
Roadcaptain S3
bigredlaguna
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Caprice vs. Interceptor vs. Impala vs Charger Empty Caprice vs. Interceptor vs. Impala vs Charger

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:28 pm

Some of you guys may find this interesting. Chevy has recently begun testing the new "Caprice" for it's police package, or 9C1 coded cars. It is essentially GM Australia's Holden Caprice/Statesman (wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Caprice ) , imported to the US and badged as Caprice. It's RWD,6.0 l V8, available only to police agencies for now.
Chevy recently tested it's 9C1 vs. Furd's Interceptor, Chevy FWD Impala, and Dodge Charger police package cars.

The cars were tested by the Michigan State Police (Kyle's home territory) and the article is from "Police Fleet Manager" magazine.

Caprice smacked the s*** out of all of them. I thought you guys might find it interesting because the 90's b-bodies are very closely related to the 70's A-body, and the Australian Holden Statesman is pretty much a direct descendant of the G3.

Click on the article, and you will be able to see the results in the black shaded areas.

Caprice vs. Interceptor vs. Impala vs Charger Capric10

Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Caprice vs. Interceptor vs. Impala vs Charger Empty Re: Caprice vs. Interceptor vs. Impala vs Charger

Post by IndyG3 Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:58 pm

Seems pretty cool. Maybe now they'll have a good reason to bring a decent car to the states.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Caprice vs. Interceptor vs. Impala vs Charger Empty Re: Caprice vs. Interceptor vs. Impala vs Charger

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:17 pm

I hate the looks of it, but love the car. Only one problem, Furd is bringing out a brand new cop car very soon that is powered by a turbocharged V6. I saw the statistics on it a month or so ago and it was awsome. Unfortunately I do not remember what they were. It will be common knowledge shortly, I am sure. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Only sad part about this, if you believe in conspiracy theories, is that the government is getting more powerful cars than is available to the general public. Maybe not right away, but the trend is starting here.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:21 pm

bigredlaguna wrote:Only sad part about this, if you believe in conspiracy theories, is that the government is getting more powerful cars than is available to the general public. Maybe not right away, but the trend is starting here.

Ha frig them. I got one. They are gonna bring the G8 back here too in 2012 I think as a Chevelle too. Its probably going to be expensive though since they will have the new CAFE limitations to deal with. I tell ya what its a great chassis and its going to be a good car to get at auction when the cops are done with them. The 2011 Charger is pretty nice too,my friend works for Chrysler in their NY office and he will be getting one soon which Im gonna drive the snot out of.

Heres some vid of the Caprice.THis car is longer then the G8 by a few inches and not the car that they will sell to the public again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z33Xufh7fnM&feature=player_embedded#!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:22 pm

bigredlaguna wrote:Only sad part about this, if you believe in conspiracy theories, is that the government is getting more powerful cars than is available to the general public. Maybe not right away, but the trend is starting here.

So buy the civilian version and build a 6.0 liter for it! GoFast
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:41 am

buddy of mine works for dodge and is mopar nut but says those chargers are as worthless as teets on a bull in snow and ice
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:56 am

The Charger seems like a small interior type car for a police car. What's the idea, catch some guys and call for full sized car to haul them in ? Seems a bit dumb. If a sedan like the projected Caprice can do the job OK, why use a small car. (?) And the Charger will likely cost as much as the sedan, or maybe even more......

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:33 am

Ant, where did you hear about the G8 coming back as a Chevelle? Any pics? I'd really like to see if they can pull it off without looking like the recent GTO failure.

Pila, you must be thinking of the Challenger. Here's a Charger:

Caprice vs. Interceptor vs. Impala vs Charger 2009-Dodge-Charger-police-car-2
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:41 am

Rago wrote: Pila, you must be thinking of the Challenger. Here's a Charger:

A wise observation. I knew there was something wrong with his statement, but did not put my finger on it. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:55 am

dragons_lair59 wrote:buddy of mine works for dodge and is mopar nut but says those chargers are as worthless as teets on a bull in snow and ice

This is entirely dependent on the tires that are on the car. I have a Charger, and have been stuck in my own driveway. Did some research on new tires and the car does great.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:09 am

JB2wheeler wrote:I hate the looks of it, but love the car. Only one problem, Furd is bringing out a brand new cop car very soon that is powered by a turbocharged V6. I saw the statistics on it a month or so ago and it was awsome. Unfortunately I do not remember what they were. It will be common knowledge shortly, I am sure. JB

Here's a link to the entire article, I think the car your talking about is a turbo charged 3.5 liter V6 AWD Taurus. It was involved in the tests, but not listed in the results.
It ran lose to the Caprice, but still lost because the furds all had speed limiters of 131 mph. If Furd tweaks it, it might be nasty.

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/articlearchive/details.aspx?ID=208125
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:02 pm

Rago wrote:Ant, where did you hear about the G8 coming back as a Chevelle? Any pics? I'd really like to see if they can pull it off without looking like the recent GTO failure.

Pila, you must be thinking of the Challenger. Here's a Charger:

Caprice vs. Interceptor vs. Impala vs Charger 2009-Dodge-Charger-police-car-2

They didnt say Chevelle but they are kinda inferring that. I saw it in Muscle car review this month (should still be at the newsstand) . There is an article online too I will find it.

heres one article it dosent say Chevelle but again thats what was inferred in MCR
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40771

Last edited by ant7377 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:04 pm

bigredlaguna wrote:
dragons_lair59 wrote:buddy of mine works for dodge and is mopar nut but says those chargers are as worthless as teets on a bull in snow and ice

This is entirely dependent on the tires that are on the car. I have a Charger, and have been stuck in my own driveway. Did some research on new tires and the car does great.

Same here on my G8. Its all in the tires and your foot.From what ive seen on TV the past few days if it dosent snow where you live normally, you should stay home anyway.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:12 pm

My bad.......must be the age thing again...... Very Happy Many sedans don't do very good in snow it seems. The tires are the key though, for all season traction.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:20 pm

Remember Firestone town and country snows? Those friggin things made your car like a tank in the snow. I would like to see a new version.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:51 am

I used to have a 1956 Oldsmobile 98, 4 door hardtop and we had 14 inches of snow and I drove around all day without getting stuck. It weighted probably over 4,000 pounds and it would just hunker down and go. Of course I knew HOW to drive in snow. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:27 am

police run a basic goodyear and they suck. my old 74 malibu had a set of general snow tires and they took that car every where that was first year town i lived in used s-10 4 drs and i drove circles around them passed one as it spun out while lock in 4wd tires just a spining and i drove past
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:59 am

http://www.firestonetire.com/advertising/pages/2005-FS-1964-001.htm

THey had radials in the same pattern.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:26 am

dragons_lair59 wrote:police run a basic goodyear and they suck. my old 74 malibu had a set of general snow tires and they took that car every where that was first year town i lived in used s-10 4 drs and i drove circles around them passed one as it spun out while lock in 4wd tires just a spining and i drove past

Best snow vehicle I've EVER had was a 93 S15 Jimmy 4 door. Then again, it had Interco STS all terrain tires on it. Those things literally cut into snow & ice. They also rode rough on dry pavement though.

Caprice vs. Interceptor vs. Impala vs Charger 875vj1q7y97wep_sm
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:21 pm

i got nitto terra grapplers on my expitition and love them ride is decent just little road noise
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:56 pm

LoL! Mine were decent on the highway, but around town forget about it. They felt like paddle tires when I was coming to a stop & had the noise to match. Wore down surprisingly slower than I thought & still had a lot of life left when I sold the truck.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:54 pm

Rago wrote:
dragons_lair59 wrote:police run a basic goodyear and they suck. my old 74 malibu had a set of general snow tires and they took that car every where that was first year town i lived in used s-10 4 drs and i drove circles around them passed one as it spun out while lock in 4wd tires just a spining and i drove past

Best snow vehicle I've EVER had was a 93 S15 Jimmy 4 door. Then again, it had Interco STS all terrain tires on it. Those things literally cut into snow & ice. They also rode rough on dry pavement though.

Caprice vs. Interceptor vs. Impala vs Charger 875vj1q7y97wep_sm

See thats a good pattern for snows. I bet they were awesome I will remeber this in case I need a set.

ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:04 pm

JB2wheeler wrote:Of course I knew HOW to drive in snow. JB

BINGO.

It doesn't matter what the drivetrain is if you don't know HOW to drive in snow.

But ... since automakers have made it VERY clear that FWD is the ONLY drivetrain that can be driven in snow, I better be getting compensation for wasting my time waiting for accidents to be cleared ... accidents caused by FWD vehicles in the snow ... especially on days when I have NO problems getting home in my RWD CC.

Just sayin'.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * 04.16.2011_DwightILmeet
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"So much more aware" __ Linkin Park __ 'Numb'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:51 pm

I have a FWD Caddy, an '85. It's good in snow. But the small cars with FWD don't seem to do very good. My niece's VW will get stuck on 3" of snow.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next