G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Musclecar" Duplicolor Mustang

+4
Roadcaptain S3
McCauley5983
IndyG3
1973montec
8 posters

Go down

"Musclecar" Duplicolor Mustang Empty "Musclecar" Duplicolor Mustang

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Anybody else see this??

http://www.powerblocktv.com/site3/index.php/musclecar-episodes?ep_num=MC2010-21&ep_sea=1001

Some guys on some other sites are absolutely trashing this car, and to me, it ain't that bad.

I don't understand why some folks think that anything less than complete perfection just ain't good enough. I like to see shows where the "experts" can show you a way of doing something out in your garage on a limited budget. there aren't enough shows around that will show you how to do something without spending your college money to do it.

I think this car looks pretty good for the money they probably spent.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

"Musclecar" Duplicolor Mustang Empty Re: "Musclecar" Duplicolor Mustang

Post by The Dude Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:48 pm

The dark blue really compliments the car...... with that said, the dark blue sure did show off some orange peel. Not a Rick quality paint job. Either that or the Duplicolor paint isn't very good. I did enjoy watching the episode & thought there was some stuff to be learned. I imagine my painting skills aren't any better then Tommy's to be honest though.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill's 74 Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:25 pm

I agree with: it was cheap, and it looks it. There are people that would be more than happy with both of those, and thats kool too.

I caught the last part of the show when I went home for lunch. Not impressed with the way it came out (just me), and it makes me wonder if they did show that system at its best. One would figure that they would....

Bill

Bill's 74
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:30 pm

and if you go through all that work to change the color. why did they NOT do the door jams?
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill's 74 Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:33 pm

My thoughts too.

I also noticed that when they painted under the hood they spray can-ed black right to the edge of the fenders (??). Never seen that before....

Bill

Bill's 74
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:13 pm

Bill's 74 wrote:My thoughts too.

I also noticed that when they painted under the hood they spray can-ed black right to the edge of the fenders (??). Never seen that before....

Bill

i thought the same thing,

but they might of thought the black would of looked dark like the dark blue and you could not see the difference when the hood was closed.

OH and BTW
lets put new tillights and chrome,tires and wheels,front and rear spoilers,new grill emblem, but not do a "better" job on the paint scratch
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill's 74 Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:59 pm

1973montec wrote:
....OH and BTW
lets put new tillights and chrome,tires and wheels,front and rear spoilers,new grill emblem, but not do a "better" job on the paint scratch

Thank you!!

Bill

Bill's 74
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:08 pm

It coulda been a lot better if they had buffed the paint out before they threw the trim on. Other than that it wasn't as bad as some people say, considering it was trying to show a "weekend" job.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:00 pm

all i can afford is rattle cans so it doesnt help me a bit but i get the thing about doin it on a budget. in all my old hot rod mags from the 70s the all have how to sections that dont include spending 3 thousand dollars on a new fancy peice to make the car go faster they simply show you how to make the existing stuff better. but i guess in the consumer culture we live in nowadays the only thing people can do is just buy it and bolt it on. God forbid they actually have to get it to "work" right
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill's 74 Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:52 pm

A long time ago I would watch the show "This Old House". Back then, they would go step by step through repairs and maintenance that the AVERAGE person COULD do. Then, they got all fancy and started with stuff that most people would not want/need/afford; bye!

I get the reason WHY they did that show, I just don't really get the concept of going THAT cheap on paint.

Bill

Bill's 74
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:48 am

Bill's 74 wrote:A long time ago I would watch the show "This Old House". Back then, they would go step by step through repairs and maintenance that the AVERAGE person COULD do. Then, they got all fancy and started with stuff that most people would not want/need/afford; bye!.

Bill

Exactly. I would like to see more car shows like this episode. The car was not perfect, but for a guy that drives his car everday, back and forth to work etc., I thought it looked pretty good.

I think that a lot of car guys forget that there are other car guys that don't have deep pockets or a fully stocked, professional tool box. There are tons of young guys and people with families who have old cars and trucks that need all the help they can get. I get annoyed when "Horsepower" says they are doing a "budget build" then spend $6000 bucks on a small block Chevy.

Gearz did a few episodes a while back on "refreshing" a mid eighties pick up for what they said was on the cheap. $12,000 bucks or so later, the truck had been painted,lowered, new suspension, new interior, wheels etc. How is that refreshed on a budget?

Muscle car probabaly spent between 250-500 bucks on that job, which would be a lot of money for some kid working at the grocery store and going to school.

Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill's 74 Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:17 am

Bill's 74 wrote:...I get the reason WHY they did that show, I just don't really get the concept of going THAT cheap on paint...

What I meant to say was, I don't 'get' showing something, that in MY opinion, looked that cheap (bad). I see the value in the 'inexpensive', but...

Bill

Bill's 74
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:31 am

In all honesty I'm right there on the budget aspect. I don't have a fancy house or $100k job & I have a full house of mouths to feed also. Everything I do to my car is on a budget. Does that mean that the quality should suffer? Not if I can help it.

I wonder why there was no wet sanding done to the car? It's not like sanding is gonna set you back too much & it would have definitely been better for showing off the Duplicolor paint. At the very least they could have done a lighter color to hide the flaws from the camera.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by badbiscayne66 Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:38 pm

HD TV CHANGES YOU!!!!!
PROLY LOOKED GOOD ON REG TV OR B&W!! lol!
badbiscayne66
badbiscayne66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:26 am

Nah. I watched it on regular old TV & it still showed flaws. I can't imagine what it looked like on HD.....
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim_Rockford Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:46 pm

The paint is garbage, Its reduced too much causing you to buy way more than you would if you had quality budget paint from a real paint store. Check out the exterior section of hotrodder.com for some good real world advice on paint and bodywork.
Jim_Rockford
Jim_Rockford
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down