G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to prep non coated headers. TAKEN FROM ANOTHER SITE but would help here as well

4 posters

Go down

How to prep non coated headers.  TAKEN FROM ANOTHER SITE but would help here as well Empty How to prep non coated headers. TAKEN FROM ANOTHER SITE but would help here as well

Post by Limey SE Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:09 pm

How to prep non coated headers.

Take them to a sandblaster & Pay ~$30 to remove rust, or the cheap Crappy paint they use from the factory.
Buy 2 cans of your preferred collor VHT Header paint
Hang/suspend headers for cleaning & painting.
Wipe off headers througoughly with rubbing alcohol or wax & grease remover.
Spray a few light coats over the headers.
Have a propane torch handy. Light torch- aim flame into the bottom collector tube- let run for a few mins- you will see steam/smoke coming up the top of the primary tubes.
Let cool down
Spray a few more light coats over the headers.
Heat with torch again
Repeat until you have the headers coated really good.

Heating with the torch will help the VHT cure. When you run the engine the first time, it won't burn off the paint now.

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

How to prep non coated headers.  TAKEN FROM ANOTHER SITE but would help here as well Empty Re: How to prep non coated headers. TAKEN FROM ANOTHER SITE but would help here as well

Post by Jedediah Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:45 pm

Nice i will keep this in mind when i get my new ones.
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

How to prep non coated headers.  TAKEN FROM ANOTHER SITE but would help here as well Empty Re: How to prep non coated headers. TAKEN FROM ANOTHER SITE but would help here as well

Post by Limey SE Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:37 pm

So I did the header coating by this process and I must say turned out real nice took about 3.0 hours total to do both headers

BEFORE PICS

How to prep non coated headers.  TAKEN FROM ANOTHER SITE but would help here as well 229b511b

AFTER PICS

How to prep non coated headers.  TAKEN FROM ANOTHER SITE but would help here as well 0e03eb0aHow to prep non coated headers.  TAKEN FROM ANOTHER SITE but would help here as well B3b60b44

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:47 pm

I'm using manifolds instead of headers on my Caddy engine in my Elco. (not enough room for headers) I bought some black paint coating for those from Eastwood, and used the same procedure to cure the paint. Of course it take more heat for cast iron, to cure the paint........

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:48 pm

right I here ya buddy

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:35 am

Oven baking them works too... well if your wife doesn't mind lol!
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:06 am

this is true Rago but you will not be able to use the oven for food again for the residuals of paint fumes getting into fumes and I would advise NOT using same oven you cook in LOL

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:11 pm

Actually you can. My grandfather taught me that trick years ago & he used his oven again. Take a look inside your oven one of these days & you'll see that it's probably painted from the factory. It DOES need to air out, but the oven will still be usable afterwords. Besides, have you ever been hit with oven cleaner fumes? pale That stuff is 10x worse than any paint fumes I've ever smelled, not to mention the chemicals that are in it are known to cause cancer.

Powder-coating in your oven is a different story though. I believe that one might be a no no.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:06 pm

I have a self cleaning Oven so No worries

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down