G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

74 Chevy Malibu Classic from Portland, OR

+10
JB2wheeler
74Malibu383
The Dude
anthonyalessi74
chevy76monteman
JiMi_DRiX
Limey SE
1973montec
IndyG3
74MonteCarlo
14 posters

Go down

74 Chevy Malibu Classic from Portland, OR Empty 74 Chevy Malibu Classic from Portland, OR

Post by anthonyalessi74 Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:08 am

Hey guys. My name is Anthony. I have had my Chevelle since I was 16, and am now 30. Head Bang It is currently dark green. It looks bad because I went to UTI in AZ for two years, and left it behind while in school. I spent a bunch of time working to pay those student loans, and 7 years later pulled it out of a field and brought it to my new place in Hillsboro, OR (just outside Portland). I am saving to get a house, so that I have a proper shop to begin my overhaul.

I am planning to build it pro-touring style (massively updated suspension, tires/wheels, and brakes). I want to do an engine set-back, and change out the drivetrain to a newer set-up (probably an l92 headed lsx motor, and 4180e trans). I already have a Furd 9" rear for it. I have recently been following body related posts because I am planning on making a custom rear roll pan and use something like the a 73 Camaro rear bumper. I also want to change door handles (like on Blue Collar Buick), shave the drip rails, flush mount the glass (windshield, rear, & opera glass), and change the front end to a 73 Laguna S-3 Style.

Lately all I've done is get the old cam'd 350 running and drive it around to keep it mobile. I buffed and waxed it a few weekends ago, mostly out of shame for neglecting it for so long. I have been lurking on this forum for a while, and most of your posts have been so helpful I hardly needed to ask anything myself! Very Happy

74 Chevy Malibu Classic from Portland, OR L_88b817f1347d4873bed4f6aebecc14e0

This TINY one car garage is a huge roadblock, but I do some work on it still.

74 Chevy Malibu Classic from Portland, OR L_5d09c84f20114215b6e84c83d283200d

anthonyalessi74
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

74 Chevy Malibu Classic from Portland, OR Empty Re: 74 Chevy Malibu Classic from Portland, OR

Post by Limey SE Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:26 am

welcome aboard Anthony <<<===== cool name we share it !!!

anyways nice ride you have there good luck on it, she looks like a good car to start AGAIN with LOL

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

74 Chevy Malibu Classic from Portland, OR Empty Re: 74 Chevy Malibu Classic from Portland, OR

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:02 am

Welcome, Anthony.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:16 am

Welcome Anthony. You have some great plans for your car, it ought to be great when you get it finished with it. I like that color. There are some things I do not like about your plans, but its your car. You have to please yourself, thats what the game is all about. I hate it when people do crazy things to their car just because everybody else does it. All right, I'm an a$$, I'll tell you my ideas. Its not worth it to flush mount the glass, not worth the effort. I have only been west of the Mississippi river twice and then it was just by a few miles, but I thought your area was rainy. You know they put those drip rails there for a reason. I love all your other ideas except ONLY set back the engine if it is a normal part of the installation of the LS engine. Okay, kick my butt, I could not resist. JB2wheeler http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19847223
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:53 am

Welcome to the board! You might have stolen some of the ideas I had for my car! Laughing
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:08 am

welcome aboard

nice to see that you did not give up on your baby. i bought my 73 monte when i was 23,im now 36 and it is almost done.
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by chevy76monteman Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Welcome Anthony. I'm here in SE Portland.
chevy76monteman
chevy76monteman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:57 pm

DUDE long time no se where ya been hiding brotha

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by chevy76monteman Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:48 pm

Limey wrote:DUDE long time no se where ya been hiding brotha

Me? Nowhere in particular, lol.
chevy76monteman
chevy76monteman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:26 pm

well welcome back Dustin, anyways good to see regular faces again

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 am

Welcome to the forum! I'm digging the current wheels, but I'm a bit of an oddball for the classic styles. Sounds like you have a solid plan for a unique vehicle.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by anthonyalessi74 Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:38 pm

Limey wrote:welcome aboard Anthony <<<===== cool name we share it !!!

anyways nice ride you have there good luck on it, she looks like a good car to start AGAIN with LOL

Yeah, startin over can be a pain. But the good thing is, I am trained now. I learned all the things that confused me before, so I am much less likely to commit the kind of butchery that I did when I was younger.

anthonyalessi74
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by anthonyalessi74 Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:42 pm

chevy76monteman wrote:Welcome Anthony. I'm here in SE Portland.

Nice to meet you! Is there a "NW chapter" in the works here? Very Happy I was told by my neighbor that I could go to a VW rally when I brough my car home... and although I have friends in that circle, I am a V8 guy.

anthonyalessi74
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by anthonyalessi74 Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:44 pm

Rago wrote:Welcome to the forum! I'm digging the current wheels, but I'm a bit of an oddball for the classic styles. Sounds like you have a solid plan for a unique vehicle.

I thought about keeping them, but they won't fit the theme or the brakes. I also am looking to run way wider rims regardless of diameter, and they are only 7" rims. I will probably post them on here for sale in a few years when I get the new ones.

anthonyalessi74
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:48 pm

Hows the interior? The car actually looks like its in great shape as it is now! Keep us updated!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by anthonyalessi74 Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:00 pm

JB2wheeler wrote:Welcome Anthony. You have some great plans for your car, it ought to be great when you get it finished with it. I like that color. There are some things I do not like about your plans, but its your car. You have to please yourself, thats what the game is all about. I hate it when people do crazy things to their car just because everybody else does it. All right, I'm an a$$, I'll tell you my ideas. Its not worth it to flush mount the glass, not worth the effort. I have only been west of the Mississippi river twice and then it was just by a few miles, but I thought your area was rainy. You know they put those drip rails there for a reason. I love all your other ideas except ONLY set back the engine if it is a normal part of the installation of the LS engine. Okay, kick my butt, I could not resist. JB2wheeler http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/19847223

Thanks for not holding back. I would rather people come out and state their dislikes. Heck, it may actually change my mind... not in this case however. I thought about the rain issue before I posted, when I was sketching out my ideas. The car sat in a field, so I got to check the "effectiveness" of GM's design. The rust spots I have are telling me which trim holds water against the body, and the drip rails are not innocent. They aren't horrible, but not great either. In spite of that info, I am doing it 100% for looks. I like the new style glass, and don't like chrome very much. I want to ditch the trim and change to a glue-in mount (with the blacked out edges).

On the set-back... it's purely to get that coveted 50/50 weight distribution.I will just buy the set back ls motor mounts from a fab shop online (welders series), and if necessary notch the firewall (Although, I hope I don't have to). I want to run at least one auto cross (like 74Malibu383's video on youtube) For me to see what one of these can truly do, I want to optimize the set up of the car.

One decision you may like... I no longer plan to use a truck arm or a 3 link to locate the rear axle... I will stick to bolt on suspension from the aftermarket. Gotta save a buck somewhere! Very Happy

anthonyalessi74
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by chevy76monteman Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:02 pm

anthonyalessi74 wrote:

Nice to meet you! Is there a "NW chapter" in the works here? Very Happy I was told by my neighbor that I could go to a VW rally when I brough my car home... and although I have friends in that circle, I am a V8 guy.

No NW chapter that I am aware of. Only club I'm apart of within the Portland area is PDXCGP (Portland Club Grand Prix). Our next "Mod Day" is in Hillsboro on October 2, but I will be unable to attend due to other plans. I don't know if anybody will be attending the Pizza Baron car show over here on SE 122nd and Division, but that's the next planned car show to attend.
chevy76monteman
chevy76monteman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by anthonyalessi74 Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:17 pm

JiMi_DRiX wrote:Hows the interior? The car actually looks like its in great shape as it is now! Keep us updated!

Not great, but nothing some seat covers, just dashes, and some creativity can't solve! EC Parts has tons of stuff, so hopefully that works. I found them on Doc & Spiral's page. I used to love that page, now it makes me sad...what a shame.

anthonyalessi74
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:47 am

Yep. D&S really took a hit when Google tried charging them & everything was lost. I contacted Jackie & showed her where everything was at on the Wayback machine, but last time I talked to her she was working out issues with copyrights or something. Eh, this is the era of G3GM.com & for kids these days to be talking about us like we did them years ago. D&S kept me busy during my high school years reading & looking at pics.

Can't blame you for wanting to go wider, 7" rims look lost under our cars.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:13 pm

You might want to do some serious research before going to the trouble of moving the engine back a few inches. Everything I've read leads me to believe it's more trouble than it's worth.

Read this post.
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61057&highlight=Moving+engine

With reference to link:
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186119&highlight=moving+engine+back+battery

You would obviously need to weigh your car on a nice set of scales, but I think this should give you a pretty good idea what moving a motor will do for you regarding weight distribution.

If you read through everything, you'll see that moving the motor back an inch didn't even produce a 1% movement, but moving the battery to the trunk yielded a 2% swing.

Definitely something to think about before getting too deep into it.

As for leaving the rear suspension stock, you can, but you'll at least want to box the upper and lower trailing arms. Oh... and a nice set of coil-overs will go a long way for you. That autocross video was before I installed any of the coil-overs. I can't wait to do it again.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:01 pm

Moving the battery to the bed is another one of my future plans, if I live long enough. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:33 am

chevy76monteman wrote:
anthonyalessi74 wrote:

No NW chapter that I am aware of.

First ... WELCOME, Anthony!

Second ... You guys should start a NW chapter! And, hope to see you both when I'm out your area in June 2011....

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Rt 66+northwestUS, 2011?
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Things get complicated when you get past 18" ... Statler Brothers ... 'Class of '57'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:38 am

Hey another Oregonian. Awesome glad to see i am not the only one in the NW. Beer
Nice ride.
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:24 am

Hey Anthony! Welcome! I have a '74 Malibu also Very Happy Currently it has a built 408 small block
Yours looks great by the way!!

BILL

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:38 am

Jedediah wrote:Hey another Oregonian. Awesome glad to see i am not the only one in the NW. Beer
Nice ride.

lol lucky, im pretty sure its safe to say im the only one on here from florida. hell the whole south eastern u.s. What a Face . but i have met a bunch of g3ers around here that dont use this site and each one i reccommended that they come here and none did.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down