G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

autometer tachs

+2
74Malibu383
The Dude
6 posters

Go down

autometer tachs Empty autometer tachs

Post by coreys73chevelle Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:36 am

looking at tachs and i like the AutoMeter PhantomII and the Cobalt C2 guages. anyone used either one? thinking that i will be mounting it on the center console under the dash a little bit or that area of the dash so 5" tach and illuminated well for night driving. any thoughts on either of the guages??
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

autometer tachs Empty Re: autometer tachs

Post by The Dude Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:20 am

I had an older Autometer tach in my Bronco that worked alright, but I can't remember the series. Also used an old Sunpro Super Tach for quite a few years in 2 of my Chevelles until I lost it. Loved the Sunpro, thinking of getting one of the reproduction Super Tachs. Sorry I couldn't tell ya anything about the PhantomII or Cobalt though.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:19 pm

I've got a full slew of the Ultra Lite II's with blue LED's in mine, and they work just fine. I'll assume all the Autometer lines are pretty much the same as far as functionality goes.

Not sure I would mount a tach under the dash though. The main purpose of a tach is to tell you when to shift. You can't be looking down and watching the road at the same time. Right?
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:41 pm

coreys73chevelle wrote:looking at tachs and i like the AutoMeter PhantomII and the Cobalt C2 guages. anyone used either one? thinking that i will be mounting it on the center console under the dash a little bit or that area of the dash so 5" tach and illuminated well for night driving. any thoughts on either of the guages??

Instead of trashing the console Corey I would just find a round gauge cluster housing (minus gauges of course) and mod that for the Tach its almost a perfect fit as it is just a lil trimming and then get a matching speedo wallah and then add the smaller 2 1/16" gauge 's for the oil pressure,fuel and such

and I would go with the phantom II all the way

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:16 pm

wel wil have to see if my (secret) goes thru with or not until i do anything
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:02 pm

74Malibu383 wrote:

Not sure I would mount a tach under the dash though. The main purpose of a tach is to tell you when to shift. You can't be looking down and watching the road at the same time. Right?

I agree, I had mine mounted under the dash for a while. Never did get to look at what my 1st to 2nd shift was and just had to shift when it started laying down. Now that I have it mounted in the dash, I still cant see what my 1st to 2nd shift is cause im too busy trying to watch the road and keep the car straight. No

autometer tachs SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:58 pm

itll only be on the dash until i can get a round guage cluster
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:22 pm

mount it on the steering column using a large hose clamp- if you put it to the left side of the column, it will only cover the lower speed numbers on the speedo and you will still be able to tell how fast you are going. just clamp it to the part of the column that doesn't move with the shifter.
this is how people have been mounting tachs since they were invented, and i'd think that any tach should come with the appropriate clamp to mount it like this. every tach i've seen has had an indentation in the mounting bracket to allow it to sit nicely on the steering column.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:24 pm

well i might be switching out to digital dash for something...still a secret
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member