G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's your current tire combo?

+5
74Malibu383
IndyG3
JB2wheeler
bigredlaguna
Limey SE
9 posters

Go down

What's your current tire combo? Empty What's your current tire combo?

Post by The Dude Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Well, since the board is kinda slow, I figured I'd start another topic everyone can answer to keep things going. What is your current tire size front and rear & on what size rims? I know this kind of goes alongside the "how many wheels" thread, but no one posted tire size or wheel width so new thread it is Razz .

Also, anyone wanna comment on what you would change or how tight the fit, etc. Yeah yeah, I know............ nothing is a tight squeeze in our fender wells LOL.

I don't have any pics yet, but the 76 is running 245/60R15s all the way around on some 8" rims. Not sure on BS, but the front looks great. Rear could use some more height, might get some 275/60s for the rear when I get tires or drop it a little & go for 295/50s. It kind of has that roundy-round look going for it.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

What's your current tire combo? Empty Re: What's your current tire combo?

Post by bigredlaguna Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:20 pm

Front: 255/60r15 on an 8" rim 4" backspace
Rear: 295/50r15 on 10" rim 4" backspace. Back space is wrong for this car, the wheel well lip damn near cuts the tread off on the outside. 5" backspace would be perfect. Fixed temporarily by having the air shocks pressurized to 90 psi. This size tire on an 8" rim looks tough.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:24 pm

one side has the cragar sst's with fronts at 185/70/14 front's and rears are the equivalent of the 26" tall tires but in a 14" ol skool tire n-60'ish ???

drivers side has the 185/70/15 front's and the rear has the 28 x 10.5 x 15 with a 4.5" back space,

look out rago getting kinda torn between the two looks who knows what will happen next LMAO

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:26 pm

bigredlaguna wrote:Front: 255/60r15 on an 8" rim 4" backspace
Rear: 295/50r15 on 10" rim 4" backspace. Back space is wrong for this car, the wheel well lip damn near cuts the tread off on the outside. 5" backspace would be perfect. Fixed temporarily by having the air shocks pressurized to 90 psi. This size tire on an 8" rim looks tough.

BIGRED ON A 10" RIM YOU NEED A 4.5" BACKSPACE GUARENTEED I ONLY HAVE RUN 10" SINCE I HAVE HAD THIS CAR 14" AND 15" BOTH NEED 4.5" BACKSPACE ONLY

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:27 pm

Limey wrote:
bigredlaguna wrote:Front: 255/60r15 on an 8" rim 4" backspace

BIGRED ON A 10" RIM YOU NEED A 4.5" BACKSPACE GUARENTEED I ONLY HAVE RUN 10" SINCE I HAVE HAD THIS CAR 14" AND 15" BOTH NEED 4.5" BACKSPACE ONLY

This was one of those "realize the mistake after purchase" moments, and the rim isn't available with any other b/s. I would love to run 325's on 10's. I do think that 5" b/s would be required to run this size.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:55 pm

no sir i have 325 waiting in the rafters for when its street ready !! and the 4.5" works if t you like the tire just to stick out a c**t hair if not go with the 5" then,

but you know me i want the ol skool look out from the fender ALMOST needing wheel flares or mandated mudflaps

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:40 am

That is damn near where I am at!!

What's your current tire combo? Leftview-1
What's your current tire combo? HotRodRims-1
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:42 am

Got 15x10 Cragar SS's with 26.5x10.5x15 Slicks on them
Not much backspacing on the rims because the car would set down on top of the tires if it wasnt stiff and air shocks.

What's your current tire combo? SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:25 am

I have 17x7" rims on the front and 17x8 on the back. The tires are 235/55/17 all the way around. I put more emphisis on handling over maximum traction and looks. I also recently bought some 15x8 rims to mount some street radial slicks on for those times I want to do some serious moving in a straight line. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:07 am

I run 15x8 ralleys all the way around with 235/60's up front and 275/60's in the rear. If I ever get around to it I might throw on some 15x10's in the back so I can get a set of 295 or 315's on it.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:12 am

275-60-15 BFG's on 15 x 8 corvette aluminums all 4 corners.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:52 pm

I'm running 19”x8” and 20”x10” Rushforth Fuel wheels, wrapped in Nitto 275/35/19’s and 315/35/20’s.

Backspacing: 19x8 with a 5" and 20x10 with a 5.75"

I can't even begin to explain how well the backspacing works on this car. Of course, I have 4 wheel Baer Disk Brakes, so you would compensate with 1/8" less backspacing if you had the stock set up.

The wheels and tires tuck perfectly and have NO issues with rubbing even with the car 3" lower. No air shocks required!

The only thing I would do if I did it over again would be to go with 8.5" or 9" rims up front and 10.5" or 11" rims in the rear. I think the tires would look a little better on wider rims.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:12 am

heres my pics
What's your current tire combo? Th_100_5734
What's your current tire combo? Th_100_5621
What's your current tire combo? Th_100_5622
What's your current tire combo? Th_100_5623

BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:06 pm

I'm running massive 205/75-15s on the stock steelies! it'll eventually get 215-70-15s but needs something wider to not look lost under it, I just haven't found a wheel I liked yet.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:01 pm

Welcome to the site texan01!

Yeah, it can be downright embarrassing to roll around with stock size tires. I had to deal with 205/75r14s for a while. Don't waste your money on the 215s, I've been there & done that. Honestly there's not much difference from what you got now. My cardomain page shows what they looked like with hubcaps, but it's a poor picture. If you have to stick with the stock wheels for a while, go get some 255/60r15s on all 4 corners & maybe grab some smoothie center caps for a poverty look. Cool The 255s are the same height as your 205/75s & are "technically" as wide as you can go on a 7" rim. I say "technically" because I have made 275/60s work, but they bulged a little too much IMO.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:31 pm

oh I had a '76 that I put 215s on it. I know what it looks like, I eyeballed the '76 for 24 years with that setup. I did have 225-75-15s on it at one point in HS but it looked silly with that much sidewall. Plus I kind of like the white-walls on these cars. I'm going more for sleeper than anything else.

I was going more for speedo-correction than looks (about 5mph fast at 80) right now, I plan on putting some dog-dishes on it instead of the ugly '77 hubcaps. Besides it needs suspension work before I worry about wheels, all the bushings have evaporated, thus the cheap tires for now, the ones on it are pretty weak, had to replace the spare as it shed the tread just sitting in the trunk.

My wheels are the box-stock 15x6s

Thanks for the Welcome! Your Malibu looks sharp. I like the big quarter windows over the opera windows for some reason. I bet it was a bear to find.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Thanks for the compliment. It took me 8 years to find my second 76 & I would have overlooked it if Dan (BlackChevelleSS) wouldn't have pointed it out to me. Then I ended up with his 73 Malibu shortly after. In those eight years I found a few 76-77 Classics (quad headlights & opera windows), a couple of 75s, & even a Laguna that I passed up just because I wanted to find my old car. I still haven't found her, but this one is VERY close. Just need to build a 350 like I used to have & junk this wee-0-5.

I had to go measure one of my stock wheels & I guess you're right. I always assumed stock steel wheels were 15x7. Crazy that they put such small rolling stock on a car so large.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:17 pm

Yeah that's why I got this '77 4 door. My parents had bought the '76 brand new from Doran Chevrolet in Dallas, and it became the car that wouldn't die. I came along a few months after they bought it, and grew up with it, when I turned 16 I was handed the keys to it and I drove it for 8 years, it finally rusted out enough to where I couldn't fix it or find parts to fix it for a reasonable price.

I parted it out and kept some of the harder to find parts that were good, and 9 years later found this '77 that wasn't a complete bear to fix up, needs paint, and some interior, zero rust, and a functional A/C. I paid about $400 bucks for it and hauled it off, with badly tuned 305 and a non-functional TH-350. Tuned up the 305 and changed the fluid in the tranny and it's starting to be a nice driver again.

I may go with 15x7 or 8 ralley wheels later on, but for now I'm content with the skinny stock sized combo.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:39 pm

the 76 malibu wagon my parents bought new,had 15 x7 stock wheels with small center caps. I used them on my 75 monte for a couple of years as winter wheels.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:41 am

i got 275/60/15s on my 15x7 rims and they look great

BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:46 am

BlackChevelleSS wrote:i got 275/60/15s on my 15x7 rims and they look great

I ran that for a while, but they wore a little uneven in the center. You don't think they bulge too much?
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down