G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Front upper control arm mods

3 posters

Go down

Front upper control arm mods Empty Front upper control arm mods

Post by Hillbilly Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:59 pm

So I have a big list of winter projects planned and figured since I will need to take off the take the front control arms off to swap in the impala spindle and 12" brakes I may also replace the upper ball joint with an afco taller upper ball joint and Moog offset upper pivot. I know tubular uppers would be better but this project is very budget.

Hillbilly
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Front upper control arm mods Empty Re: Front upper control arm mods

Post by sportster_restorer Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:30 am

I put the 12" Impala spindles on a 71 Camaro and didn't have to take off the front control arms at all. Just basic R&R. You will have to get the car realigned. Thankfully the alignment shop was only about two miles from my house. But on a test ride of the Camaro, you could tell the alignment was out of whack, and actually hear the tires protesting, even though I was going slow. Realigned and everything worked great.

I'm pretty sure the 2nd gen Camaros had nearly identical front suspension to G3s, so I don't think you need to remove the control arms, unless you want to replace ball joints or change out bushings.

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Hillbilly Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:37 am

What I meant was I have to separate the ball joints. At that point I am only 2 bolts from freeing the upper arm. I planned on a offset upper A arm shaft to get more adjustment for neg camber and positive caster. I was wondering if any one had also done a taller upper ball joint to raise the roll center. I am not sure it is possible with a stock arm without the joint binding. I plan to cut half a coil at the same time to slightly lower the car.

Hillbilly
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:57 pm

The Impala FCA stick out an inch more than ours, don't they?

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down