G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Storage info needed about storing outside

4 posters

Go down

Storage info needed about storing outside Empty Storage info needed about storing outside

Post by lagunaman Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:19 am

I have had my 73 Laguna for 37 years . During that time it has spent the last 3years outside . The reason is I have no room . It was inside and then my Father in-law passed away . He had been holding my wife's 68 Mustang and we bought his Truck . I right now only have a enough space for 6 cars and have 9 cars . Well the mustang is totally restored by my Father in-law plus my wife got the car 42 years ago when she turned 16 . So my wife suggested selling the Laguna since it needs work . The seals and windows leak . The paint is faded and is starting to show the primer . I just can't bring myself to sell it . The car was a one owner with swivel seats a high horse engine air conditioning and factory dual exhaust . I am asking if anybody has found a cover that can withstand all kinds of weather . One that won't make the inside sweat so when I pull the cover off I am not dealing with mold . We don't have the room to keep the car here so it sits at a storage facility . So putting up one of those metal canopies would be a no go . I was thinking of a car zip bag and then putting a car cover over that . Then putting in moisture sucker packs . So If you live in Washington and have inside room for my car I need some advice here . I am sorry this is so long . Any ideas and suggestions for covers would really help . We have cold snow rain wind and fog here to deal with .

lagunaman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Storage info needed about storing outside Empty Re: Storage info needed about storing outside

Post by Joe73 Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:09 am

You will have issues any way you go. A car sitting outside is exposed to condensation from temperature changes throughout the day. One thing I've always seen occur with car covers, regardless of type, is that they lay on the roof. This becomes problematic since this surface of the car never gets to breathe. Cooler nighttime temperatures add to problem even if the day temp raises just a few degrees. You get condensation. The cover lying of the roof doesnt allow it to escape. This especially true with fuel in your tank. Liquid stays cooler, theres air in your tank, condensation forms on the inside walls of the tank and since they are heavier than fuel, roll down the sides to the bottom. Now theres water on the bottom of your tank and it cant evaporate since its not exposed to air anymore, its covered with gas. Then the fuel problems start.

The moisture absorbers work pretty good. I know lots of people who use them when they shrink wrap their boat which gets no air circulation all winter. So thats a good idea.

The problem is temperature change (morning dew), no air movement in or around the vehicle and a car cover actually touching the car.

Best recommendation I can give is use the moisture absorbers inside and in the trunk. I'd get some long styrofoam pieces like come with a new fridge or tv and place three on the roof of the car. Just so that the cover isnt actually sitting on the car.

Never let any vegetation grow up from under the car and touch the car. This just invites rodents and more moisture to collect under the car.

And I definitely would not leave any primer showing anywhere. Primer is porous and moisture goes right through. Unless the primer is epoxy prime. A car cover in direct contact with normal primer and left outside will be disaster.

Good luck with it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Storage info needed about storing outside Empty Re: Storage info needed about storing outside

Post by Joe73 Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:10 am

Actually, I think the best "cover" for storage that would eliminate any problems would be the "car bubble" or "car capsule" or anything similar. This is great because nothing touches the car AND there is constant air movement from a small fan.

It might not be allowed where you intend to use it and it would need electricity. Only other issue I see outside would be heavy snow.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:48 pm

I had these pictures of car capsules saved. Might work for you, I don't know. Storage info needed about storing outside Outdoo13
Storage info needed about storing outside Outdoo14
Storage info needed about storing outside Outdoo15
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:40 pm

I would never store a car i care about outside unless in a capsule. I have seen to Many Nice cars go bad over a short periode of time from Being sitting outside. Worst is sitting on grass with a tarp over it. Even a carport is better than nothing. As long as there is air flowing around and moisture can escape then you have as chance. Not far from me is a 59 caddy convertible that is sitting outside, it was a pretty decent restoreble car 5 years ago. Now from sitting under a tarp its close to Being to far gone. So If you have any chance at all to get it under any form of roof it would be a Wast improvement.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:59 pm

Hs1973 wrote:I would never store a car i care about outside unless in a capsule. I have seen to Many Nice cars go bad over a short periode of time from Being sitting outside. Worst is sitting on grass with a tarp over it. Even a carport is better than nothing. As long as there is air flowing around and moisture can escape then you have as chance. Not far from me is a 59 caddy convertible that is sitting outside, it was a pretty decent restoreble car 5 years ago. Now from sitting under a tarp its close to Being to far gone. So If you have any chance at all to get it under any form of roof it would be a Wast improvement.

I agree !!! They go bad sitting outside. Air flow is key. I just read on another forum about some tricks some guys use when they store their cars. Inside of course. Couple of guys complained about their restored chassis and parts getting some slight surface rust. Guys chimed in and told him he needed air flow. Alot of the guys said that when they store their cars they put a simple, cheap, box fan on the floor at the front or rear center of the car. Keep the fan on low ALL THE TIME. Keeps air moving.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:12 am

I have a small piece of sheet metal laying in a corner, its raw so i can see If it starts to get surface rust. Then i know If the garage is getting to moist. Also i put the car on jackstands and open the garage door every time i get a chance. Also i have a cover for it that lets air circulate and dosent trap moisture. I also keep the Windows a little open so air can circulate. I have so far not had any trouble. My dad has had a mercedes stored in a carport for a couple of years. It had a cover on it same as mine and sitting on stands. It was sitting dry under the roof and air could circulate so it still looked ok when we took it out.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down